Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Everything But The Girl

From: abvax!astro.pc.ab.com!lieser@uunet.UU.NET
Date: 16 Aug 90 14:58:30 GMT
Subject: Re: Everything But The Girl
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <CMM.0.88.650125623.macgowan@fs4.NISC.SRI.COM>, Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
> Really-From: Douglas MacGowan <macgowan@NISC.SRI.COM>
>

> I just recently bought the latest tape by Everything But The Girl -
..
> Now, I come begging for some more info.  Who are these two people?
> What's the story behind them?  Are their other albums as good as
> this one?   What are their other albums?

They are Tracey Thorn and Ben Watt, and they're English.  I'm not clear
about their careers before EBTG, but their first album as EBTG was called
Eden in England, and just Everything But The Girl in the U.S.  This was
released in 1984.  I haven't heard this one.
The second album was "Love Not Money", which has a funny cover photo of
a couple of kids urinating into a puddle.  This was released in 1985, and
is worth listening to.
Third album: "Baby, the Stars Shine Bright" in 1986.  This is an orchestral
album, complete with strings, horns, and a choir backing up Tracey's vocals.
To me, it's reminiscent of big band music, with some pop flair too.  Nice.
Fourth album: "Idlewild" in 1988.  If you like the latest album, you'll
probably like this one.  Ms. Thorn is capable of displaying a lot of emotion
in her vocals, which she demonstrates here.
Happy listening!

Ed Lieser