Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Victoria Williams

From: nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@mitvma.mit.edu
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 90 14:39:57 BST
Subject: Victoria Williams

>From: Michael Simms <michaels@hci.heriot-watt.ac.uk>
>pps To Vickie, I bought a Victoria Williams album on your
>recommendation  and see what you mean by either liking it or
>hating it, I'm still not sure either way yet, I still much
>prefer Jane Siberry and Sarah Maclachlan.

The local paper (Oxford Times) had a review of Swing the Statue by Victoria
Williams recently.
 "It's harder to describe the style of Victoria Williams. Imagine, if you will,
 Kate Bush after exposure to the influence of country music and punk. This may
 give you some idea of what Victoria sounds like, but you really have to hear
 this album for yourself. She has a childish, quavering voice which sometimes
 sounds soppy, sometimes loony, but she is ehr own person and her music is
 very appealing just becasue it is so personal, especially in its unexpected
 use of such instruments as the glockenspiel and marimba."

As I have not heard the album, I cannot comment on their description.
Neil