Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Madonna like Kate???????????????

From: jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (Oggle Bottles)
Date: 31 Jul 90 17:09:37 GMT
Subject: Re: Madonna like Kate???????????????
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa, rec.music.misc
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU

>In article <65592@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> loren@tristan.UUCP (Loren Petrich) writes:
>>
>>There is a whole newsgroup, rec.music.gaffa, devoted to Kate Bush and
>>related subjects, and I think that Madonna and Kate Bush have a heck
>>of a lot in common. I have long suspected that Kate Bush is the
>>Madonna of the alternative-rock set; if you think that comparison is
>>unwarranted, please explain why in reasoned, non-flaming words.

eh.  there was an article in _homeground_ (Kate fan mag, for you
non-gaffans) of all places, a while ago, comparing Kate to Madonna (in
flattering terms, even.) the main thesis in the article was that
they're both "originals" and "uncompromising." Point sort of taken,
but the main difference is that Madonna's uncompromising originality
goes into her image whereas Kate's goes into her music.

Having said that, Madonna does have a few good songs but I seem to
notice that the ones I particularly respect were either written or
remixed by Shep Pettibone who is a dynamite producer...

+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? ---------------------+
|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | ZIK ZAK - We make everything you need, |
| \|on |/rukman | -Fight The Power- | and you need everything we make.       |