Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The boxed set: copy of a draft of a letter to EMI

From: Matthew Diamond <matt@MAPS.CS.CMU.EDU>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 90 17:07:01 GMT
Subject: Re: The boxed set: copy of a draft of a letter to EMI
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: USENET News Group Software <netnews@CS.CMU.EDU>

In article <9007302246.AA29845@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>,
Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
|> Really-From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu
|>

|>  To: Love-Hounds
|>  From: Andrew Marvick (IED)
|>  Subject: The boxed set: copy of a draft of a letter to EMI
|>    Two other tracks deserve to be released on compact disk, although
|> they do not belong to quite the same category as the above. They are:
|>
|>    1.) _The_Man_With_the_Child_in_His_Eyes_ (spoken-introduction version):
|> when released as a single by EMI in 1978 this song was preceded by
|> a brief but beautiful spoken introduction ("He's here!", etc.)
|> which is not on the album. The mix of the song itself is, however,
|> identical to that found on Kate's first album, _The_Kick_Inside_.
|> I recommend that you insert this exclusive and rare spoken introduction
|> into future pressings of _The_Kick_Inside_ album on compact disk--
|> perhaps as part of a boxed set of Kate's complete album output on CD?
|>    2.) _Cloudbusting_ (the video mix):
|> this is the version of _Cloudbusting_ which Kate recorded
|> for her video of the song. It includes a section of completely
|> new and exclusive music. Except for this particular section of
|> the video soundtrack, however, the recording is identical to the
|> original album version. I therefore suggest that you consider putting
|> the _video_ version of the track on a special future CD _Hounds_of_Love_
|> album, instead of the shorter but otherwise identical album version
|> of this track. Perhaps this could be part of a special collector's
|> boxed-set edition of the complete albums of Kate Bush on compact disk?

WHOA!  I think this is a big mistake.  Kate (is it o.k. if I call her by
her first name?  She doesn't even know me!) created those albums the way
she wanted to.  If she added a section of music for the video version,
fine.  But that does not belong on the album.  Same goes for the first
item.  IF the extra music was originally excluded against Kate's wishes,
then that's another story.
I doubt this is the case.  Leave the existing albums alone.
Please do not suggest that they tamper with the albums, IED, it really
casts doubts on the validity of your whole letter.  Everything else you
say makes sense.

Well, just about everything.  I guess I would have indicated some sort
of preference.  For example, tracks from the Hammersmith concert would
be infinitely more preferable than her versions of the Beatles songs.
Similarly, the
instrumental versions of existing songs are not as important as the
other b-sides.
(I just have this fear that they'll include some instrumentals and not
put "December Will Be..." on it.)

Those are my suggestions for the letter.
Matthew Diamond
matt@maps.cs.cmu.edu