Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: New Releases

From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago)
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 90 02:46:42 -0400
Subject: Re: New Releases

Vickie here. Woj wrote about a few new releases:

> 1. _balkan_ (virgin records): the soundtrack (more or less) for enki
> bilal's film "bunker palace hotel." it consists of music either written
> by phillipe eidel and arnaud devos or traditional pieces arranged by
> them for the radio-sofia ensemble - another chorus of bulgarian women.
> the liner notes describe them as "slightly more penetrating and less
> smooth than the `voix bulgares' we were used to." as my cd player is
> on the fritz, i haven't listened to this yet...but it does look good.
> virgin sneakily sub-titled the cd "les voix bulgares de l'ensenble
> radio sofia" and imitated the packaging of the les mystere des voix
> bulgares volumes to capitalize...

I'll add my 2 pesos and say that this is very, very good. Even if you
are leaning toward getting tired of all the Bulgarian releases, you
have to get this to complete your collection. The music isn't Bulgarian,
they just incorporate the women's voices throughout. The music is haunting,
sad, somewhat creepy in parts, but it doesn't really belong in the "gothic"
category (whatever the hell that is). Woj, listen to it and give a report,
you're much better at describing music than I am. I almost didn't buy it
because I already have so many Bulgarian CDs and I was going to put it on
"the waiting list", but I did and I'm glad. Well worth having.

> 2. his name is alive - _livonia_ (4ad): everybody is comparing this
> michigan based outfit made up of william defever (elvis hitler!),
> karin oliver and angela carozzo to the cocteau twins and this mortal
> coil. personally, i thin this comparison breaks down as the resemble
> area and louise cooper much more in their style: very primitive and
> simple arrangements of guitars and electronics is that moody vein.
> the two girls sing on separate tracks and defever does pretty much
> all the instrumentation. ivo watts-russell did all the remixing for
> this release, which is very much a 4ad record.

I looked for this and haven't found it yet. Can't wait! I did find Area's
"The Perfect Dream" on CD though (oh happy day!) and bought it even though I
have _2_ copies of the album!

> 3. skinner box - _the playhouse_ (bobok/toxic shock): kinda in the
> hetchy hetch vein. for those of you who that does not help, half the
> speed on caterwaul, but every bit as powerful. skinner box is essen-
> tially julianna towns who does everything except the guitar feedback
> according to the liner notes. a bit noisy but still very listenable,
> _the playhouse_ completely blows away her first excellent release of
> a few years back. again, rather primitive arrangements, but unlike
> his name is alive, there is melody and full production. the music might
> grate on the nerves at first, but its worth the effort.

It will be a few weeks before I can buy any new music but I'm glad to know
this is out and available. Thanks!

> coming soon: dead can dance! (as soon as i buy it!)

I got this the other day and it is really, truly wonderful! Not as "gothic"
(whatever the hell that means :-) as their other albums. It's more ...um...
traditional. I think any DCD fan will fall in love with it and it should
make fans of people who've never heard DCD's music before. We're going to
an "Aion" album release party at a club here in Chicago on Tuesday. It will
be interesting to see what kind of people show up. I have to be sure to wear
all white because there will certainly be tons of cibs (clad-in-black).

Another new release people should look out for:

Mazzy Star-She Hangs Brightly

Somewhat mellow rock & touches of country/folk with bits of Psychedelia
thrown in. Cowboy Junkies meets Opal (Kendra Smith), not really fair, but
it's all that comes to mind. On Rough Trade. She's coming to Chicago in Aug.
and I'm very much looking forward to it. For me, it would be a near-perfect
album if only she'd zap all the "baby's". One an album is too many for me
and she uses the word in a lot of the songs. No matter, it's still an
extremely cool album. May take a few listenings in the right mood though, to
get on her wavelength.

Also:

Kimm Rogers-Soundtrack Of My Life

If you can handle another album in the Suzanne Vega/Shawn Colvin/Sara Hickman
neauvo-folk vein, buy this, you'll like it. Buy Mazzy Star first though.

I could tell a Kate story here but I'll save it for another post. It has
nothing to do with Kimm Rogers herself or the music so I'll hold off.

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)
katefans@world.std.com