Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Victoria, Joni, Dolly & a little bitta Jane

From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago)
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 90 02:48:01 -0400
Subject: Victoria, Joni, Dolly & a little bitta Jane

woj writes:

> got my copy of swing the statue today. as expected, enjoyable! i
> think this is a little bit more tame than her earlier release,
> _happy comes home_, which i have listened to, but not bought. she's
> more melodic here, although her voice is definitely very distinctive.

I'm SO glad you bought it and like it! Really, if you can find her first
one, please get it. It deserves more then just one listen.

> *very* distinctive. to help place her for those of you still unsure,
> i felt that on _swing the statue!_, she sounds kinda like a quirky
> joni mitchell - sometimes.

                  NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

I've never heard ANY Joni Mitchell that sounds anything like Victoria!
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not exactly a Joni Mitchell fan,
though I admire and respect her DEEPLY. However, it's really getting
tiresome to hear people compare artists such as Jane Siberry and
now Victoria Williams to her.
Joni is the most talented of the "60s Women" and the most innovative
and the most experimental. I give her all kinds of credit for opening
doors and minds, but I just don't hold with these comparisons. If you're
going to compare Victoria to anybody, compare her to very early Dolly Parton.
I've heard Victoria described as "Dolly Parton on acid". Close...!

THANK YOU woj for printing the press release for Victoria's album.
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

> old friends: there's a song i wrote in french called "old friends". it
> was inspired by a letter from an old friend of mine in louisiana who

This song ended up on the album as "Vieux Amis". The pr doesn't mention
the phone answering machine message at the end of the album. I haven't
put it on our machine yet but I plan to!

> interesting person, no?

* Very * interesting!
Jane fans--I forgot to mention this--the night we met Victoria, walking to
the car she started to sing "Everything Reminds Me Of My Dog"! Chris had
on his "Everything..." tour T-shirt. She noticed it and just started to
sing. I asked her about Jane and she said that she and Jane did a songwriters
workshop together at a folk festival in Canada once! How neat...!

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)
katefans@world.std.com