Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Disappointed with _TSW_ ?

From: James Smith <CCJS@cc.nu.oz.au>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 90 10:35 +1000
Subject: Re: Disappointed with _TSW_ ?

From: ccjs@cc.nu.oz.au (James Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Date: 23 Jul 90 10:35:32 +1000

Larry Spence writes (in reply to myself):

>>Suppose we divide fans into those who discovered Kate at 'The Dreaming/
>>Hounds of Love' stage, and those who discovered her at the beginning.
>>Would it be correct to say that the former are the ones who are 'a little
>>disappointed with _TSW_'?

> I'd be interested in hearing what the logic behind this is though.

I guess you could group people into two classes: those who are attracted
to Kate's music because it is her music, and those who are attracted
because it is a particular style of music.

Take for example Linda Ronstadt.  She has I think had three separate
styles: Country and Western, Popular, and 40s.  Some people are attracted
to her C&W music, others to her popular stuff, and still others to her
latest work.  There is also a small group who like all her work, because
they are attracted by her work rather than the style of the music that she
performs.

Kate is also an artist who changes her style, though perhaps not as
drastically.  I'm sure there are people who like her first album, but
think the rest were not worth making.  I am also sure there are people
who feel the same way about HoL.  Perhaps for those people TSW is a
disapointment because it is a change.

Of course, all this is just theory.  And I am talking in absolutes.  :-)

Jim

--
James Smith          | Diplomacy is a game of intense cooperation. It is not a
Computing Centre     | "nice" game...that is, it is a game where some vices