Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Re: _TSW_ pressings

From: "Ken Brownfield." <brownfld@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 May 90 18:15:44 -0500
Subject: Re: Re: _TSW_ pressings

     I agree that the actual production of her music is excellent.  The only
part I think could be improved is what goes on these little circular plastic
things called CDs.  Kate's mixing and production are a great part of her
music, just like your "The Dreaming" example.
     My problem is the Analog.  Not even a goddess such as KaTe can overcome
the analog.  I've heard analog that is _much_ better than the analog that
comes on the Columbia (read: *gack*) pressing.  Now, whether this was
Columbia's lack of brains, or the hiss is from KaTe's masters, I don't know.
But it makes it hard to buy CDs when tapes with Dolby C have less hiss!
     I know that Columbia's pressings usually leave much to be desired,
because my EMI America/Manhattan pressings are all good analog.  Her _TSW_
singles from EMI (UK) have only marginally better quality than the Columbia
CD.  But Kate's music would song truely grand if she used her production
skills with digital.  Her music has a lot of silence and a lot of dynamic
parts which show through with digital more so than in analog.  IMHO, and a
moot point if she prefers analog that much.
     But the fact is, it seems that the sound that's on the Columbia pressing
isn't only from a second master or whatever you want to call it, but it seems
to lose the normal dynamic quality that Kate records.  Whether this is just
a master fluke or Kate's design, I don't know, but it doesn't complement her
music, IMHO.
     I like _TSW_ a lot (it was my first,) don't get me wrong.  But the
music would be much more striking if it came in a better form than is
currently on the Columbia CD pressing.
     I listen to Kate's music on MDR-V6s, which are excellent headphones.
I haven't played her music on a good stereo yet, though.  I think it's time
to take out a loan.  :-)
							Ken.
						   ken-b@uiuc.edu