Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: _TSW_ pressings

From: gb10@gte.com (Gregory Bossert)
Date: Wed, 30 May 90 10:25:59 -0400
Subject: Re: _TSW_ pressings

I enter this discussion in the spirit of gentle, learned debate, but I
am forced to disagree with the general tenor of this discussion -- I think
the production on HoL and TSW is superb.  Comparisons with the Dreaming
can be misleading;  I mean, as a studio tech-head I adore the treatments,
processing, etc., on the Dreaming, but then again, those treatments were
part of the musical style of the Dreaming (sometimes they _are_ the music...).
Personally, I'm more impressed by the subtle touches on HoL:  for example,
the textures in "Watching You Without Me" are just remarkable.

It's the sad truth that artists and producers are subject to the whims of
the record companies when it comes to mastering and pressing CDs and LPs,
but I haven't heard any serious problems with the UK releases of the last
few albums, and I'm listening through good near-field studio monitors.
I do admit my (UK) CD of _TKI_ sounds worse to me than my US LP (?!), but
then again I've been listening to the vinyl version for a long time --
maybe I'm just used to it.

Point is, barring obvious distortion, wierd EQ, etc., production and
mastering values are as subject to personal opinion and debate as the
music itself.

Vickie 'n' Chris, I hope the move goes well.  Personally, I love to
read your song lists, and seeing as I can't listen to the radio show anyway,
I wouldn't mind if you posted lists for imaginary shows during this
(hopefully) temporary hiatus from broadcasting.

All these TYO stories are making me jealous:  still no cable in Belmont MA.

Right then.

Footah!
-greg -- gb10@gte.com -- "Share and Enjoy!"