Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: _TSW_ pressings

From: Quest For Oom Pa Pa <jsd@gaffa.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 May 90 09:36:22 -0400
Subject: Re: _TSW_ pressings
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>Really-From: "Ken." <krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>
>
>>Really-From: Rampant Red Food-U-Later <jsd@gaffa.MIT.EDU>
>              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>     WHAT!?  ;-)

Which word did you not understand?  :)

>     I can agree with that on most of the songs on _TSW_.  But I nearly blew
>my dorm-mate's speakers in a valiant attempt to deafen my fellow collegiates
>with _Rocket's Tail_.  The sound quality (or lack thereof) shows through in
>the beginning, but boy the second half is a blast.  Almost literally.

Yeah, that song is a real bummer because of the noise.  I wish it
could withstand the superhuman decibal levels that I like to subject
it to better.  sigh.

>     I sincerily hope that Kate figures out that digital is better for her
>listeners even though it's more expensive.  I always thought that _The
>Dreaming_ was a great recording.

The Dreaming was analog.  Digital is not necessarily better.  I have
some AAD discs that run circles around some of the DDD ones I have.
I don't know why TSW was so lo-fi.  It really shouldn't have been.
Then again, it shouldn't have had a song like _Reaching_Out_ on it,
either.  (yeah yeah yeah, big f*ckin :) all over the place, OK?)

>     Interestingly, _TSW_ seems to be worse than _TKI_.  That's gotta be some
>kind of engineering sin.  They're eleven years apart!!!  Better than my old
>2-bit tape player I used a few months ago... ;-)

No, I think TSW is better than TKI.  TKI is swamped in hiss and
rumble.  Admittedly, you'd think there'd be a quantum improvement with
11 years of technological development, considering what's come and
gone in that time, but I'm sure some malcontent will point out that
the sound quality is totally irrelevant when compared to the greatness
of the music.  To him/her I can only say, "get a life."

+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? ---------------------+
|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | ZIK ZAK - We make everything you need, |
| \|on |/rukman | jsd@umass.bitnet  | and you need everything we make.       |