Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: _TSW_ pressings

From: Stephen Thomas <spt1@ukc.ac.uk>
Date: 24 May 90 10:40:07 GMT
Subject: Re: _TSW_ pressings
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Source-Info: From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

In article <9005231316.AA14361@gaffa.MIT.EDU> Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: Rampant Red Food-U-Later <jsd@gaffa.MIT.EDU>
>
>[stuff about albums being OK rather than excellent quality deleted]

Hmm.  Either you have much better aural perception that I do, or there
must be some qualitative difference between UK and US pressings.  My first
KT album was _TSW_, followed by _HOL_, then _TKI_, _Lionheart_ and
_The Dreaming_.  The remaining ones I have still to acquire.  I thought the
sound quality of TSW was quite OK when I first got it.  However, it is
ages since I have listened to it, as I prefer _TD_ and _HOL_.  These
two albums, _TD_ in particular, I feel are very well produced.  Recently
I decided I would visit _TSW_ again, and realised that the production
quality was indeed lacking.  I almost always listen to music using
headphones, and with all the albums I have apart from _TSW_ I feel that
I am "in" the music.  With _TSW_, the best way I can describe it is that
I felt that it was going on around me, not in me.

I also do not think that _TKI_ is badly produced - its seems very clear
to me.  It is just that the musical arrangement is a little ... sparse
is the best word I can find, compared to modern productions.  The same
applies to _Lionheart_.

Just my views, folks!

Stephen
--