Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Julian & Deb & Oh Those Videos & Elks & Hi Joe!

From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City)
Date: Thu, 24 May 90 07:08:53 -0400
Subject: Julian & Deb & Oh Those Videos & Elks & Hi Joe!

Vickie here. Julian, glad to have you back. I'll try to keep my mouth
shut and I apoligise for the ruckus. I really didn't mean any harm.
Now, thanks for the info on the phrase "hair of the dog". I can't for
the life of me remember what film it was, but that phrase was used in
something I saw very recently. Anyone know?

Deb, thank you for the lovely descriptions of the videos you have.
I know for sure now that it's not a video we put together that was taken
and sold. It is, however, most definitely a bootleg and not anything
officially released.

That's not the order we ever put anything in. For one thing, we never would
have dubbed the Russell Harty Show without including the "Delius".

You write:

>> 16)  Another unidentified talk show -- here Kate is simply discussing
>> her background/history with the show's host.  She is looking really
>> stunning here (so what else is new, I know...this is just my personal
>> opinion) in (again) a high-necked, long-sleeved black sequined dress,
>> with black mid-shin tie-up boots on.

IED responds:

>  <This, one of the best of all Kate's video interviews (in IED's
> op.), is from a programme called _The_Desmond_Morris_Show_. The
> interviewer, D. M., is better known as a zoologist who has written
> some very good books about dog and cat behaviour. He also has some
> smart things to say about modern popular music.>

IED! Shame on you! You should know better. The TV program in question is
called "Friday Night Saturday Morning" and Dr. Morris (who wrote the books
_Manwatching_ and _The Naked Ape_) was just a guest host that night. This
show alternated different guest hosts. He asked Kate Bush to be a guest on
the show because he was a big fan of her's. Kate catches his zoology back-
ground in a particularly interesting way. He says something like (para-
phrasing here) "I find watching you is hypnotic, almost like a cobra".
And Kate replies "Well, Ssssssssssssssss is the obvious answer isn't it?"
Yeah, it's one of the best interviews around. It's fun too because it's
obvious that Desmond Morris really likes Kate, but he keeps telling her
how odd she is. It's very cute. At this time, she was in the middle of
recording The Dreaming, and she says something like "I know the music so
well, I know it forwards, I know it _backwards_ sometimes". A cool little
reference to the end of "Leave It Open" eh?

Ed writes:
> Note that the guy calls the song "Delicious".

No, actually he calls _Kate_ delicious. "Here's the ever-delicious Kate Bush"

>   After her Babooshka performance, Kate joins the 7 hosts and sits
> chatting with them; the majority of the conversation dwells on Kate's
> costume and her "dual" personality.  One of the hosts then introduces
> the video for...

Watch this closely, they talk & talk and Kate never gets to say _one_ word!
I wonder if these dorks (actually, I used to be a fan of these guys) ever
in the future realized that they had the most intelligent musician they
would ever be privileged to meet sitting there between them and they didn't
let her say a word. I can see it now "Oh my God, what did we do? What a
wasted opportunity, shall we commit suicide now or what?"
It's a dream I have. :-)

> 10) Rock Awards 1979 -- Kate's first appearance is to come out on
> stage to announce the winner of the Best Male Performer for 1979,
> Gary Numan, who is interviewed briefly from Pittsburgh.  When Kate
> comes out to announce the winner, she is wearing a light-blue, fringed
> top over tight-fitting dark blue or black pants, and heels.  She chats
> with the host a bit, and then announces Numan.
>   Later in this segment, Kate is announced as the winner of the
> Best Female Performer for 1979, and the "purple dress" version of
> "Wow" is then shown.

What's funny about this one is that Gary Numan is somewhere else when he
"accepts" his award. His thanks are being beamed in via sattelite and he
seems very weird and out of it.
When Kate accepts her award, the first thing she says is "I'm glad I'm not
on sattelite because it looks like it *really* freaks you out"!

She's so neat!

Btw, the BBC edited that version of "Wow". If you look closely, during the
part where she pats her behind for the line "He's too busy hitting the
Vaseline", they don't actually show her patting her arse. I forget exactly
what they did, fade it or something, but the censors evidently didn't want
their precious viewership to see a pop star making obvious references to
homosexuality in prime time. My goodness, what prudes.

> 13)  Russell Hart TV talk show -- discussion with host and with
> Eric Fenby regarding the Delius video.  Here Kate is wearing a
> high-necked, long-sleeved grey spangled blouse, a below-the-knee
> blue sequined skirt, and heels.

Our other version actually shows the video, plus scenes from the Ken Russell
BBC Omnibus film about Delius, which Kate saw as a child and which inspired
the song. I'd give ANYTHING to have the entire film on tape. I'm a KR fan
(Crimes of Passion is one of my favorite films--the unrated version) and
he did a series of TV movies in the 1960s about famous composers. Why oh why
didn't VCRs come out earlier? I know they were around at the time, but not
in general use in the home. Btw, does anyone else besides me remember the
first time you heard "they" were coming out with a machine that you could
use to actually RECORD TV programs and movies to actually watch later...?
Thought I'd died and gone to heaven, really. I never knew anyone who owned
one of these remarkable machines and I didn't even see one in real life
until I met Chris in 1982. His mother had bought one of the first sold in
Kansas City. Blank tapes then were about $25.00 each. Ouch! Thank heavens
blanks have come down in price. (We have quite a few hundred of the things
and we're poor!)
Oh well, back to Russell Harty. Notice that RH says to Fenby (after the
Delius video is shown) "You're in there, did you notice?" Fenby says "what's
the line?" and Kate says "In B Fenby". Fenby comes back with "What's B?"
Kate "The key" RH says "The key, yes, not buzzz buzzz bee". Something like
that (again, I'm doing this from memory) and it's halarious.

> 18)  Old Grey Whistle Test talk show -- Kate chatting with two hosts.
> She is wearing an off-white peasant blouse with much colorful
> embroidery, a blue satin mini-skirt, what appear to be hot pink tights,
> and white boots.  Unfortunately, the camera is either too far away
> from Kate or is too focused on her face for me to really tell what she's
> wearing below the waist.  :)

This one's a classic. Those two guys are officially known as "The Twit Twins"
(OK, "officially" to Chris & I). These jerks have no idea what Kate is
about or what she's trying to do and are totally oblivious to the fact that
a bona-fide genius is sitting there with them. They do a wonderful job of
insulting the intelligence of Kate, her fans, the viewers and every living
breathing thing within 20,000,000 miles of the studio they're sitting in.
The sweet thing is, Kate knows it! Yet she's so sweet, smiling, biding her
time to get her quiet little jabs in, which of course fly right over the
heads of these two nincompoops. For instance, one of them asks "what is a
digeridu?" and Kate says, very softly to herself, "what is a digeridu?"
meaning that these two guys are total stupidos and doesn't _everyone_ know
what a digeridu is? She wouldn't have done that with anyone else. I think
she's more than happy to explain about her weirder instruments and she knew
that the general public would probably be unaware of the existance of the
digeridu, she just had had it with these two mental dwarves and it was her
quiet way of telling them what idiots they were. Of course, they didn't
catch it, just went right on saying things like "this song has something to
do with Austraila, is that right?" and insulting Rolf Harris and Percy
Edwards and telling everyone they should run out and buy Tom Tom Club's
"Genius Of Love" when they should have been telling everyone to run out and
buy The Dreaming. Morons, par excellence.
Who said there wasn't such a thing a male bimbos? Anyone who has this video
can attest otherwise.

> 19)  "There Goes A Tenner" -- this appears to be something performed
> as a lip-synch for Top of the Pops or something.  Kate does this
> one with 2 male dancers, and is wearing black leather pants, a white
> T-shirt with red suspenders, black gloves (with the fingers cut out),
> and black ankle boots.  There is a fairly good-sized crowd of people
> standing around, as if on a dance floor.

Notice that all the kids in the audience are holding flashlights and
standing around dazed, not quite sure what the hell this lady & the two
guys dancing are supposed to be doing. For the kids, it had to have been
one of the weirdest experiences of their lives.
Someone in the control booth got hold of a cheezy, cheapo special effects
device and all of the wipes and fades are among the most horrible things
on this (or any other) planet. Kate would have died if she'd known what
they were doing to the song as it aired.

Hmmm, no "Infant Kiss" video. I guess the person who made the tape either
didn't have it or didn't like it enough to include it. Too bad.

Larry writes:

> Joe is telling me about X-rated films that won best picture.  I can't
> concentrate.

That would be the new David Lynch film that just won at Cannes. YAY!
I'm seriously in need of a new David Lynch film. It's close & getting
closer, but I want to be actually walking into the theater, sitting down,
tensing up as the lights go off and the previews are over and the opening
music starts and the titles flash/fade/float by and.......
We just had a nine-hour Twin Peaks marathon, watching everything on a
10 foot screen, leading up to the final episode of the season. We finished
the first eight hours with 20 minutes to spare before the finale. After it
was all over with I put on Julee Cruise and turned the channel to the
Discovery channel where they were showing some nature film about Elks and
there were lots of antlers and trees and brooks flowing and tall grasses
blowing and Julee was singing "Falling......falling....." and it was the
most wonderful thing in the universe and I really, really need a new
David Lynch film (where's that copy of "Eraserhead"? and are there any video
stores open so we can rent "Blue Velvet" and can we start again and do the
whole Twin Peaks thing again? Yes now, why not? I don't care, Work? What's
that? Oh, the thing you do to get paid so you can take care of silly little
things like rent and food but they won't fire me and I'm quitting anyway
and I want MORE DAVID LYNCH....!!).

(Get a grip Vickie)

OK Larry, so say hi to Joe-Dude and where's he been hiding??

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)
katefans@world.std.com

Maitland, you bounced again...