Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Reich vs Gardner

From: radlein!ray@uunet.UU.NET (Ray Radlein)
Date: Wed Apr 18 03:35:53 1990
Subject: Reich vs Gardner

In a message of <16 Apr 90 21:50:30>, Jorn Barger writes:

> Metaphysically speaking, though, the universe is much more magical than
> materialism imagines, my experience is that reality tends to adjust to
> your expectations in a much more interesting way than just perceptual
> delusions.

I don't know whose materialism you're talking about, here, but *my*
materialism is far more magical than any petty mysticism ever could be. The
mystical paradigm seeks to imprison the universe in chains of the will, by
making reality into what the mystic wants it to be; by contrast, the
scientific paradigm is infinitely larger and more free, demanding of
reality only that it be what it already *is*. One of us is prepared to
argue with reality - and it *isn't* me. Personally, I'd put my money on
reality winning any such disagreements, too.

                                    - Ray R.

  UUCP:{uunet!ncrlnk, gatech!hubcap}!ncrcae!secola!smoak!avcom!radlein!ray
  FIDO:1:376/14.96, 12.3; UUCP #2: [sdcsvax nosc]!crash!pro-carolina!rayr;
  ARPA:crash!pro-carolina!rayr@nosc.mil; or INET:rayr@pro-carolina.cts.com

              Eternal Vigilance is the Price of Tea in China

                    DISCLAIMER: "Be Kind to My Mistakes"