Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Brief "Interview"

From: MTARR@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU
Date: 2-APR-1990 17:22:32.47
Subject: Re: Brief "Interview"

Greetings once again...

I couldn't get through to try for the copy of that Inquirer issue, but I
found the posted bits amusing.

I don't think KT is a folk singer.  She uses traditional ethnic instruments,
sure, but I think she's closer in her method of working to Laurie Anderson
than Jane Siberry.  KT is quite experimental in what she does and the sounds
she uses (listen to anything on _The Dreaming_: especially "Get Out Of My
House", for example, and the use of her voice as an instrument on pretty
much everything), and she has a definite concept behind everything she
does (_The Ninth Wave_).  And the Tour Of Life was more of a performance-art
piece than anything else.

I can see where someone who didn't know who she was and had just listened to
TSW could classify her as "folk", simply by her choice of instruments and
maybe even her subject matter, but that's an ignorant classification to make.
I'm sure whoever wrote that article had never heard of much of her earlier
stuff, or even seen her videos- if he (?) had, he probably (hopefully) wouldn't
have made such a hasty classification.  I consider KT to be more of an
experimental composer than anything else.  Somehow I can't picture the Indigo
Girls sampling taped sounds of slamming doors or a rifle bolt being pulled
back to use as percussion...

Meredith Tarr			"Looking for a moment that'll never happen
mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu	 Living in the gap between past and future"
Wesleyan University						-KT