Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Brief "Interview"

From: woj <woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 90 17:24:21 EDT
Subject: Re: Brief "Interview"

thomas coleman quotes the philadelphia inquirer:
>       Where does folk singer (!) Kate Bush get the material for her exotic
> storytelling?

and then says parenthetically:
> (The exclamation is my own- that ought to start a discussion- is
> KaTe a folk singer?)

interesting you should mention that. in a review of tracy chapman's last
album, a dolt of a reviewer states "chapman is a wonderfully talented
folk artist whose gusto and influence, in a sense, has paved the way for
other female folk artists like herself, such as KaTe bush and bonnie raitt."

now, i don't know what this guy was on when he wrote this, cos i consider
KaTe a pop artist (eclectic yes, but pop nonetheless) and bonnie raitt is
essentially a country singer. *but*, if you stretch the definition of a
folk artist to its limit, KaTe could fit. she tells stories and, at the heart
of it, that's what a folkie does. sure they might have a message, but
story-telling is the heart of their profession, so KaTe could concieveably
be considered a member of their ranks...

oh, and as for tracy chapman "paving the way" for KaTe and bonnie, well,
i gave the reviewer a piece of my mind after reading that! talk about
crisp toast!

woj