Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: VH-1 A-Z video history...

From: Lazlo Nibble <lazlo@ariel.unm.edu>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 90 14:01:58 -0700
Subject: Re: VH-1 A-Z video history...

> Has anyone been watching VH-1's history of music videos?  I started
> watching at A, waiting patiently for some Kate Bush stuff to record.
> They were playing all of each group/person's videos, e.g. every David
> Bowie video, but they went from The Boggles (?) to David Byrne (!).
> Since Bush should appear between the two, I assume they are ignoring
> Kate.

They are most definitely *not* playing all of each group/person's
videos.  They're playing the ones that are best-known and most popular
by each artist . . . not necessarily even that artist's best videos.
(e.g.: they played "Satisfaction" and "Whip It" by Devo, but not
"Beautiful World"; Thomas Dolby only got "She Blinded Me With
Science".)

That's "Buggles", by the way.  Trevor Horn (Yes; producer of ABC, FGTH,
Malcolm McLaren; cofounder of ZTT Records) and Geoff Downes (Yes, Asia).

> I know Kate's stuff is not the most accessible stuff that VH-1 plays,
> but they've played over a half a dozen videos made by artists I have
> never in my life heard of!  I would think she has enough of an impact
> to appear!  Anyone have any comments?

The natural conclusion to draw is that in VH-1's estimation, Kate hasn't
produced any historically significant videos.  I would have liked to see
them play "Cloudbusting", but quite frankly I'd be hard-pressed to think
of any Kate vids that I could defend as important to anyone but a Kate
fan, simply because her stuff never got any play in this country in the
first place.  That's *their* limited definition of a significant video,
by the way -- not mine.  I bet they ignored Ebn-Ozn, Mike Oldfield, They
Might Be Giants, and Yello too.

                                                   Lazlo (lazlo@ariel.unm.edu)
EINSTEIN has made the Universe!  But I can't tell you how long that will last.