Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Laugh and Rockets

From: Patriarch Porch <jsd@gaffa.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 90 18:56:20 -0500
Subject: Re: Laugh and Rockets
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Larry Deluca writes:
>"The Laugh" belongs at THE BEGINNING OF "THE FOG", or PERHAPS IT IS BANDING,
>but *** NOT *** at THE END OF "LOVE AND ANGER"!!!!!!

You betcha!

>To quote:
>
>7" (NO LAUGH): 'Love and Anger' is also available on the album, cassette,
>	andd compact disc "The Sensual World".
>
>12" (WITH LAUGH): Original version of 'Love and Anger' available on the
>	album, cassette, and compact disc "The Sensual World".

I really shouldn't point this out, but I just bought the CD single
today and it says that same thing as the 12" (WITH LAUGH) but it (the
track on the CD single) is devoid of laugh.  Go figure.

>Drukman was right in the beginning.  I agree with him.  The video
>reinforces it.  CBS reinforces it.  EMI (Britain) made a *MISTAKE*
>banding the CD, and our dear Ms. Bush has seen fit to provide it both
>ways so people can have it as they like best, but her ORIGINAL INTENT
>seems to be that it belongs SEPARATE from "LOVE AND ANGER".
>
>Of course, the liner notes could be wrong...

I think we're looking at this the wrong way.  Perhaps it is a ZEN
laugh that belongs with both songs, and also with neither -- at the
same time, of course.   I'm beginning to think that Kate may have had
some master plan in mind with all this, because it's just too freaky
to be coincidence.

The most logical explanation, of course, is that the CD single's
perplexing legend "original version available on..." is referring to
SOME OTHER change in the mix of the song and the laugh is completely
irrelevant to the CD's mysterious markings...

|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | ZIK ZAK - We make everything you need,  |
| \|on |/rukman | jsd@umass.bitnet  | and you need everything we make.        |