Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

stuff stuff and more stuff

From: woj <woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 90 17:16:38 EST
Subject: stuff stuff and more stuff

First off: the permission on Steve's pix are set to 644, so you should
have no problem reading them (just checked). The file name is katepics.tar.Z
and is BIG. There's also a README file for it...

While the KaTe disk _Aspects_ did not come in at the station today, Sinead
O'Conner's _I_do_not_want_what_i_haven't_got_ did! I'm listening to it even
as i type (well, recording actually) and it's quite excellent. while me and
rolling stone generally do not get along either, i have to completely agree
with their rating of 4-1/2 stars for this release. Quiet and powerful, it's
a turn towrds the simplicity of the acoustic guitar and voice for o'conner.
her voice is just plain *haunting* (she should have sung Celtic airs with
this voice!). I fell sorry that the rest of you folks have to wait to get
your hands on this...it's magnificent.

Also in today: Bel Canto's new one _Birds_of_Passage_ (hey Vickie listen
up!). For those of you have no clue, Bel Canto is a sythesizer based band
that makes that etheriel stuff that we're always ranting about. This is
also an excellent release (even if you don't like this kind of music!).
Very atmospheric, layered and beautiful...all without being moody. Wow!

Lastly, Christine Lavin's new cassette appeared in our local record store
sometime between today and friday. It's called _Attainable_Love_ and
is more of her acoustic-based poppy folk songs. I bought it immediately
(since ROunder doesn't service our station ;) and it's quite good. I
only got as far as side one when I made it back home (walkmen are great!),
but cannot imagine that she would only produce one good side (especially
since I've already heard the last song on side 2 on a live recording I
heard on NPR a few weeks ago). Look for this one too kids!

woj