Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Upcoming Compiliation Featuring KaTe

From: woj <woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 90 12:01:14 EST
Subject: Upcoming Compiliation Featuring KaTe

We just got an interesting card in the mail here at the station. It's an
advert for "an alternative music sampler" from Columbia/Epic. I'll just
quote from the back of the card:

				theodore!

		 	an alternative music sampler

		Featuring rare vesions of songs by: Kate Bush
		Big Audio Dynamite, Living Color, The Psychedelic Furs,
		Indigo Girls, Shawn Colvin, and Poi Dog Pondering.

		Plus: Public Enemy, 3rd Bass, Nuclear Valdez, Prong,
		Social Distortion, The RAve-Ups, Toad the Wet Spocket,
			Big Dipper and O-Positive

			16 songs for a really cheap price!
			    $7.98 CD, $4.98 cassette.
			Get your orders in starting Marchh 12th

<And in small print at the bottom:>

Contact your local CBS Records/Columbia/Epic Rep for counter bins and posters.

Me again:

Looks to me that this is a ad to be sent to chain stores and stations only.
I wonder what the KaTe song will be, though...any guesses? Also, I find it
silly that the rap artists are delegated to the second listing of bands,
especially considering that they are more "alternative" than, say, Living Color
or the Indigo Girls.

Anyways, release date in stores is set for April 10th, so look for it then.
If we should get one in the mail, I'll let you all know...and if anyone else
has an info, let us know!

Some new releases to look into:

The Black Girls - Procedure (Mammoth Records): Acoustically based trio
featuring Eugenia Lee on guitar, vocals and mandolin; Dana Kletter on
keys, vocals and guitar; and Hollis Brown on violin and backing vocals.
I'll just type in Rockpool's review:

Back in 1987, North Carolina's Black Girls released a five song EP which,
aside from colege-radio airplay, went unnoticed. A shame, becasue the songs
were very good in a serene and unassuming sort of way. _Procedure_ is very
good too, except that this time asll 123 songs don't always sooth. At times,
they're unnerving. The songs are well-crafted and run the gambit between
beauty, intensity, and ... erratic disturbance. It's about time a mini-
malistic band surfaced who can utilize the violin in such a versatile,
non-pretentious way; sometimes invoking beautiful charm, other times
causing agitation. Combine this with competant piano and guitar hooks,
intelligent (often disturbing) lyrics, and beautiful harmonies -- and you've
got The Black Girls. Every once in a while you'll be reminded of KaTe
Bush's style of Celtic-folk balladry, or The Raincoats' potent atonality.
For a band that's been kicking since '85/'86, amidst the genmeric songwritings
of a thousand garage/art-rock outfits, The Black Girls have found a niche.
The trio's music feeds the head, the heart and the soul. Good stuff.

Me again: while I normally find Rockpool's reviews to be sensationalistic,
this one is pretty accurate. Look for this one kids!

Also: Luka Bloom's _riverside_ is finally here. One man with a guitar
weaving passionate Irish songs of great poignancy. He's opened for the
Pogues, the Hothouse Flowers and the Violent Femmes and has been called
a male Suzanne Vega. Also kinda accurate, but not quite. Look for this
one too if you like any of that kind of music.

woj