Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Les Dogs

From: Stephen Thomas <spt1@ukc.ac.uk>
Date: 10 Mar 90 13:09:49 GMT
Subject: Re: Les Dogs
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Source-Info: From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

In article <1990Mar9.220519.881@axion.bt.co.uk> nkings@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk writes:
>Wow, fer sure dude. Having just re-watched the video, all I can say is what
>is going on?
>
>The best I can guess is that Victor is fatally injured in the crash at the
>start.

I think so, yes.

>       He is remembering the last _significant_ events of his life then
>he, err, snuffs it.
>
>The one _big_ hole with that theory is that he appears not to know Angela.

Erm, no, I don't read it like that. I saw Victor as a powerful but perhaps
rather lonely man, with a distinctly melancholic disposition. The whole
programme was also very melancholic, don't you think? Anyway, what
he saw in Angela was his vision of perfection, the woman he had been
searching for all his life, and in the final moments before his death,
his imagination created her for him.

When he first saw her, she was most definitely the "property" of another.
She was in a situation (the centrepiece of a wedding) specifically designed
to emphasise that fact. Nonetheless, he still tried to follow her, to find
out about her, to capture her.

Eventually, of course, he did - or so he thought. When she fainted in the
hallway, he arrived and took charge from her. From then on, perceived
reality started to break down. He almost had her in the bathroom, only for
her to be snatched away at the last moment. At the very end, he did get her,
and his life ended.

>There are more things, but I'll wait for the discussion to start.

I look forward to the analysis.

>Nick
>Nick@The.End.Of.Time

Stephen