Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Steve Winwood

From: munnari!cc.nu.oz.au!C8848029@uunet.uu.net
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 90 19:12 +1000
Subject: Steve Winwood

From: c8848029@cc.nu.oz
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Date: 10 Mar 90 19:12:01 +1000

	I wonder if there's any way I can get a hold of the tape with that
concert on it. A Sydney FM radio station broadcast about two three years
ago a show he did in Cleveland Ohio as part of the "Back In The High Life"
tour. It was absolutely brilliant although (loyal fan that I am), some
parts of it sounded a little messy and overdone. He really dug into
"Gimme Some Lovin' " and "I'm A Man" with gusto although on that particular
concert, he didn't play any Traffic stuff. Which is a pity as the only song
I've heard from them is "Hole in My Shoe". Not only have I got the 1987
concert version of those classic Spencer Davis Group songs, I"ve also got
on tape the 1967 live recordings that the band did for the BBC. In my
opinion, he sounds a lot better live now than he did back then.

	"Back in The High Life" was called a "commercial watershed" by
a Rolling Stone reviewer here. What sort of criticism is that? The man
has been through a lean time working on all kinds of aesthetically
pleasing and inspired projects (later to be emulated by the likes of
Paul Simon and Peter Gabriel). All hailed as works of sheer genius by the
hallowed music-crits but who actually bought them? As Steve himself said in
an interview with "Rolling Stone", what's the point in making records that
critics rave about but nobody buys? His first solo album in 1977 (self-titled)
was a lyrical, introspective piece of work, particularly tracks like "Midland
Maniac". But the record bombed. Where does one go from there? Do you settle
for being labelled a "has-been" and become an A&R exec of CBS?? No, he
recorded "Arc of The Diver" - and finally gained the respect and recognition
(of the record-buying public) he deserved as a solo artist. I touch on
"Talking Back To The Night" briefly here - mainly to stress a point about
the importance of constantly being in the spotlight. Sure, "While You See
A Chance" relaunched him as a star to be reckoned with, but without the
high-budget videos, gruelling tours and image-promoting interviews, you're
history until you do something different. "Talking Back To The Night" was
NOT the sort of album that was likely to be lapped up by the masses (true
I now have all of his solo works on CD, but I know I wouldn't have cared one
whit about Steve Winwood had it not been for his 1986 effort...)
	I don't care what critics say. "Back In The High Life" was the album
Steve Winwood HAD to record to carve a name for himself as a living legend.
It contained the perfect blend of pop-rock("Higher Love", "The Finer Things"),
a more hard-edged rock ("Split Decision" which was given that added slide
by none other that Joe Walsh), a combination of the two ("Freedom Overspill"),
the soulful, uplifting "Back In Th High Life Again" (couldn't you just see
a group of drunks lurching down the street on a Saturday night toasting
life?) and yet another fine example of those hauntingly beautiful ballads
of lost love ("My Love's Leavin' - which reminds me a little of "Dust").

	And then "Roll With It" - which WOULD have reestablished his standing
with the critics had it not been for his involvement with "Michelob". Getting
back to grass roots on some tracks ("Roll With It", "Hearts on Fire") and
then going in the opposite direction with the dance-mode "Put On Your Dancing
Shoes" and "Shining Songs", coasting off into the night with my favourite
track "Don't You Know What The Night Can Do?" So what if it's used in a
commercial? Sometimes I get the feeling that Americans love concocting
the proverbial storm out of the proverbial tea-pot.

	Any news on the next album? I read in the RS interview that it was due
for release this year...

Jayanthi Viswanathan
University of Newcastle
NSW 2308