Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

MisK

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 90 21:01:57 PST
Subject: MisK

I was browsing in Tower Books today when my eye caught the following
book:  _On Record: Rock, Pop, and the Written Word_, edited by
Simon Frith and Andrew Goodwin (New York: Pantheon Books, 1990).

The table of contents includes the following article:  "In Praise of
Kate Bush", by Holly Kruse.  I was astounded!  The article was written
in 1988, so it's not really up to date, but it's a great article.
Don't ask me to post it, though; it's fifteen pages long!  With a
half-page list of references!

I have to give you one of the references, because it's so funny:
Peter Swales, "Kate Bush: A British Cult Heroine-Turned-Superstar
Passes Through the Realm of the Subconscious," _Musician_ (January
1986).  Anybody ever see this article?

In other news, I've seen the new issue of _Billboard_ (Mar. 10).
The big news is that _The Sensual World: The Videos_ has entered
the Top Videocassettes Sales chart!  It's at number 30 this week.
This chart includes *all* videocassettes: movies, excercise tapes,
etc.  If we only count music videocassettes, it would be at number
nine.

In the other charts, _TSW_ is down to number 76 (66 last week), and
TSW is down to number 30 on the Modern Rock chart (17 last week).

I was in Tower Mountain View today, for the first time in quite a while.
I was amazed to see that _TSW_ is still on its Top 25 rack.  At
number eight, no less!

I found another excellent review of the album.  This one is from the
January issue of _Wilson Library Bulletin_.  Many of you probably don't
realize that this magazine consistently gives Kate great reviews.  Here's
this one:

     "Kate Bush's soprano is haunting, her lyrics are enchanting, and
on her latest album, The Sensual World, one of Britain's most tantalizing
singers has made what she calls "a strong expression of positive female
energy."  Ever since recording her debut album twelve years ago, Bush has
insisted firmly on creating her own ethereal kind of music, never being
swayed by fads or trends.  Instead, she turns to flowery language and
strange accompaniment to help bring her lyrics to life.  The album's
title song is rife with literary allusins to James Joyce's _Ulysses_,
accentuated by the plaintive call of uilleann pipes.  On several tunes,
Bush complements her own pure lead vocals with the exotic chants of
Bulgaria's Trio Bulgarka.  Bush's albums spin webs that are difficult
to escape."

Unfortunately, I don't have the author's name on the photocopy in front
of me.

Lastly, this weekend KITS is highlighting the women of Modern Rock.  I've
already heard "Experiment IV".

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov