Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

WOW! KATE CD-ASPECTS OF THE SENSUAL WORLD Finally!

From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City)
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 90 20:46:48 EST
Subject: WOW! KATE CD-ASPECTS OF THE SENSUAL WORLD Finally!

                           WOW!

             We were given an wonderous thing today.

            The American CD 12" of The Sensual World!

 I don't know if this is going to be available in stores but it *looks like*
CBS may be getting ready to actually promote the song!
 The CD was given to us by a friend of Chris' brother who's a DJ at KC's
most popular rock station. The kind that a) "Kicks Ass" and b) wouldn't
touch Kate with a 20 foot pole!
 The CD is a "promo" but not a "Promotion Only" item. (If CBS sends an
album to a radio station and the album is marked "For Promotional Use
Only-Not For Sale" that's a "promo," because once the album is released,
anyone can go into a store and buy that album. Something sent to stations
that's not meant for the general public is a "Promotion Only" item. The
Love & Anger CD was a PO item-never intended to be sold in stores)
The CD has a hole cut into the bar code, so it's definitely a promo.
BUT IT *HAS* A BAR CODE!! The L&A CD didn't!

It was in shrink wrap and on the plastic is a rectangular sticker,
Black with a white strip at the top.

On the white strip - CD EXTENDED PLAY            (in black lettering)
on the black part -  5 Cuts Including:           (in small white lettering)
then -               The Sensual World           (in gold lettering)
then -         LP Version and Instrumental Mix   (back to white for the rest)
then -                    plus
then -    3 tracks previously unreleased in the U.S.!
then -                 44K 73174-S1

The CD is called "ASPECTS OF THE SENSUAL WORLD"  the cover is the same
"sand through the fingers" cover as the UK version, with the gold lettering
exactly the same except that it adds ASPECTS OF to the title. The
coloring is sepia-toned, but not as much as the UK version and the photo
isn't as clear and crisp as the UK one. The spine also gold lettering
and says: 44K 73174   KATE BUSH  ASPECTS OF THE SENSUAL WORLD    COLUMBIA
By the way, it's a full-sized plastic CD case, not cardboard like L&A or
thin like the one from the UK.
This is on the back of the box, all in gold lettering:

COLUMBIA
  AAD                    KATE BUSH
                 ASPECTS OF THE SENSUAL WORLD

                  1. THE SENSUAL WORLD*+ (3:56)
                        (LP VERSION)

                2. BE KIND TO MY MISTAKES** (3:03)
       (FROM THE FILM _CASTAWAYS_-WITH THANKS TO NICOLAS ROEG)

                  3. I'M STILL WAITING** (4:25)

                      4. KEN** (3.48)
              (FROM THE COMIC STRIP FILM _G.L.C.)

                 5. THE SENSUAL WORLD* (3.56)
                     (INSTRUMENTAL MIX)

*RECORDED BY DEL PALMER  *MIXED BY KEVIN KILLEN  **ENGINEERED BY DEL PALMER

             ALL SONGS WRITTEN AND PRODUCED BY KATE BUSH
          MASTERED BY VLADO MELLER AT CBS STUDIOS, NEW YORK

      +TAKEN FROM THE COLUMBIA RELEASE: _THE SENSUAL WORLD_ 44164

Underneath all that is a beautiful tiny photo of the album cover, edged
in gold and even the lettering on the album is in gold, even though is's
almost too small to read. Photography is credited to John Carder Bush.
There's also an ugly black on white bar code and all the usual "All rights
reserved" stuff in tiny letters at the very bottom.

There is no booklet of any kind, the cover is just a slip-in sheet of
glossy paper. It's not thick but it feel very high-quality.
The CD itself looks very nice. It's flat black (but with a sheen)
but the lettering is not painted or pressed on. At first I thought it was
silver lettering but it's actually the CD itself. Reverse stenciling?
What's that called? It actually looks neater than the UK CD, even though
that one had gold raised lettering. (I love silver, what can I say?)
The information top to bottom is the same except that Del, Kevin, &
Vlado's (whoever he is) credits are not there and this is added:

                 PUBLISHER: KATE BUSH MUSIC LTD.,PRS

                     (C) 1990 NOVERCIA LTD.
                (P) 1989, 1990 NOVERCIA OVERSEAS LTD.

        "COLUMBIA" REG. U.S. PAT. & TM. OFF. MARCA REGISTRADA

(I wouldn't have added that except that I like the name "Marca Registrada"
Does anybody know what it means?)

On the left side is *TAKEN FROM
                     THE COLUMBIA RELEASE:
                     THE SENSUAL WORLD
                     44164

On the right side is COLUMBIA
                     44K 73174
                     the Int'l CD symbol
                     DIDP 072395

In the inside "groove", are some very interesting symbols (NOT anything
that Kate put there I'm sure)
I held the CD up to a strong light and could only see one very, very
tiny pinhole. I'm knocked out. SOMEONE did an *excellent* job of putting
this thing together and making sure everything was of the highest quality.
They could have gotten prints directly from England for the cover but
the difference can only be seen by Katefans comparing the UK & US
side-by-side, which is what I did.

Let's see, anything else? Oh damn! I forgot to weigh the thing :-)

I have no idea why I went off on this tangent of describing the CD
in such detail. If we're *LUCKY*, everyone will have one of these
on their shelves soon. You never know though. WHY would CBS go to
all this trouble AFTER the album has dropped down in nearly all the
charts? They should have released it sooner to kick the album into
high gear.

Oh well, Paula Abdul's album bombed until the third single
and, gee, look at her now!  Hmmmm....

Start bugging your local stores my friends...

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)
katefans@world.std.com