Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

twisted sound bites from Shakespeare

From: Julian.West@mac.dartmouth.edu
Date: 06 Mar 90 17:24:56
Subject: twisted sound bites from Shakespeare

 Paul Boutin writes:

> 	"Once more into the breach, my friends!  Once more!"
>					- _Henry V_

A near unique example of a correct attribution, coupled
to a stunning misquotation.

I don't know what to say! I really want to encourage the few people who give
the authors their due. And, if we have the attribution, we can look up the
quotation, and find out how wide of the mark it is.

But there must be a limit!

The correct quotation is, of course:

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; ..."

Ed wrote:

> When _HoL_ came out, _Rolling Stone_ wasn't giving stars in its
> reviews.  So it's hard to tell what they really thought.

You're kidding, right? You come from the school of ironic
false syllogisms, right?

Julian