Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Wuthering Heights -- The Original.

From: bill@ADMS-RAD.Unisys.COM (Bill Oswald)
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 90 11:17:01 EST
Subject: Wuthering Heights -- The Original.

The song "Wuthering Heights" apparently covers the scene in the book
in which Cathy's spectre appears in a dream to Mr. Lockwood, from whose
point of view the novel unfolds, and who is at the time an unwelcome
guest for the night in Cathy's old room at Wuthering Heights.  In the
dream, she identifies herself by her married name, but appears as a
child, cold and lonely and innocent once again, pleading to be let in.

How appropriate, then, in the original recording, for Kate to
sound like "a little girl singing."

As my wife said on first hearing the song, "It's wonderful.  She's
given Cathy a voice.  It's perfect!"

>    "Begone!" I shouted, "I'll never let you in, not if you beg for
> twenty years."
>    "It is twenty years," mourned the voice, "twenty years.  I've
> been a waif for twenty years!"

        -- Emily Bronte, posting for Catherine Linton, nee Earnshaw

Bill Oswald  --  bill@ADMS-RAD.Unisys.COM