Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Ofra Haza

From: lorch <@JHMAIL.HCF.JHU.EDU:lorch@JHUNIX.BITNET>
Date: 22 Jan 90 14:56:38 GMT
Subject: Re: Ofra Haza
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Source-Info: From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

Maitland Bottoms writes to say that he/she has the three albums by Ofra
Haza that were released in the USA:

>>      Yemenite Songs
>>      Sha Day   (However it's spelled - the one on Sire)
>>      Desert Wind

>>- it's the second one on Sire, I guess, but I am lead to believe from
>>the liner notes that she's had more of a career in Israel than these
>>three releases would suggest. Anyone know of others?

I was told once that she is a really big star in Israel, but that "the Fifty
Gates of Wisdom" (the album of Yemenite songs) was the first that put an
ethnic slant to her music.  Her previous albums, I'm told, sound like
"an Israeli Barabara Streisand".

I'm not familiar with any but the first two on the list above.

--
John Lorch                      UUCP:   mimsy!aplcen!jhunix!lorch
Johns Hopkins University        ARPA:   lorch@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu