Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Ofra Haza

From: dadoun@cs.ubc.ca (Nou Dadoun)
Date: 23 Jan 90 04:29:00 GMT
Subject: Re: Ofra Haza
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@cs.ubc.ca

John Lorch wrote:
>Maitland Bottoms writes to say that he/she has the three albums by Ofra
>Haza that were released in the USA:

>>      Yemenite Songs
>>      Sha Day   (However it's spelled - the one on Sire)
>>      Desert Wind

>I was told once that she is a really big star in Israel, but that "the Fifty
>Gates of Wisdom" (the album of Yemenite songs) was the first that put an
>ethnic slant to her music.  Her previous albums, I'm told, sound like
>"an Israeli Barabara Streisand".

That's a fairly accurate description, I have an Israeli compilation double
album called The Golden Album which is a mix of Streisand-style pop stuff
(bouncy things that are sometimes reminiscent of Hava Nagilah)
and stuff from The 50 Gates of Wisdom (including Galbi).  Although 50 Gates
is delightful, I'm not fond of Shaday (particularly loathing the Bomb The
Bass remix of Galbi) and I've heard Desert Wind once, more of the same.

It's the megablast!

==
Nou Dadoun	  	  | {ihnp4!alberta,uw-beaver,uunet}!
Dept. of Computer Science |  ubc-vision!ubc-csgrads!dadoun
Univ. of British Columbia | dadoun@grads.cs.ubc.ca
Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1W5   | dadoun%ubc.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
(604) 228-4912            | dadoun@ubc.csnet
(604) 228-5485 [FAX]      |