Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"Pirate TV" on MTV

From: mcb@presto.ig.com (Michael C. Berch)
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 90 01:15:27 -0800
Subject: "Pirate TV" on MTV

larry@csccat.UUCP (Larry Spence) writes:
> Did anyone else see the interruption of the "Love and Anger" video
> at 11:25 PM CDT Thursday night on MTV?  Kate was standing in front of
> the line of dancers, and suddenly a big skull and crossbones with the
> caption "PIRATE TV" appeared instead.  There was maniacal laughter for
> about five seconds, then it reverted to the LaA video.  I am not
> kidding!
>
> Was this:
>
>   1) A cheap MTV stunt?  If so, I would think Kate would be
>      pissed at her video being "violated" like this.
>
>   2) A genuine pirate (intercepted satellite link, microwave
>      link, etc.)?

About half an hour ago I saw a "Pirate TV" interruption of a video
(Great White or White Lion or Whitesnake, or somebody like that, I
wasn't paying attention, just waiting for "Yo! MTV Raps" to come on
while reading netnews), and almost believed it, but the logo looked too
corny, and the video snow background and lack of vertical hold looked fake.

I'm assuming this is some obnoxious sort of MTV promotion, which will
probably involve a 900-number.  MTV has apparently hired a new
advertising and PR firm, and they're buying a lot of time on radio
stations trying to build up sagging ratings.

--
Michael C. Berch
mcb@presto.ig.com / uunet!presto.ig.com!mcb / ames!bionet!mcb