Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

MisK.

From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 90 10:51 PST
Subject: MisK.

 To: Love-Hounds
 From: Andrew Marvick (IED)

   New article/interviews about/with Kate in the latest _Musician_
and _Rolling_Stone_. The former features a wonderful new photo
by Guido Harara (Kate's only other longtime "official" photographer
besides her brother John Carder Bush), which shows her in a crushed
velvet evening dress in a foggy, watery light, apparently feeling
her way as though "swimming" through the fog.  The latter has a
new black-and-white photograph by a San Francisco studio, probably
taken while Kate was in New York City earlier this month.
   Next, IED must address a sad subject for Love-Hounds:
the new _Disc_Coveries_ magazine (this was aptly described a while
back by another Love-Hound as a "_Goldmine_ wannabe") has a cover article
on Kate, but it is, sad to say, not Love-Hound Deb Wentorf's excellent
article. If the disKovery has been upsetting to Deb, it will not
be without reason--she was as much as promised that her article would
be used, so this unexpected turnaround by the magazine's editors seems
pretty underhanded.
   That said, IED must congratulate Bill Creal (another Kate Bush-fan
friend of IED's), whose article, however sad the circumstances in which
it appears in the magazine, is really first rate--indepth yet concise,
properly serious in tone and always deeply respectful, punctuated with
original and interesting ideas, almost completely accurate (IED found
only three false statements, which is a very low tally), and helpful
to any fledgling collector (it includes a comprehensive basic discography
of UK releases to date).
   Also, both _Audio_ Magazine and _Stereo_Review_ Magazine
have equivocal (part rave, part pan) reviews of her new album in their
latest issues. Both reviewers seem torn between an urge to extoll Kate's
talent and a simultaneous compulsion to belittle her work. So what's
new?

 >Date: Wed, 24 Jan 90 23:52:53 EST
 >From: woj <woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu>
 >Subject: NME Article
 >
 >Has anyone seen the NME article "Woman's Work" written by Mary Dickie? I
 >don't know the date of it, as I've only got a photocopy, but I'll type
 >it in if it already hasn't been (of course, as IED will likely point
 >out, my memory often lacks :) ).
 >
 >-- woj

   Woj's memory does indeed serve him(/her?) ill again. The Mary Dickie
interview, "Woman's Work", has already appeared in Love-Hounds, thanks
to the efforts of Chris'n'Vickie, our much appreciated midwest-based
Love-Hounds. Furthermore, the interview did not appear in _NME_, but
in _Music_Express_ (or _ME_, for short), a Canadian publication.

 >From: bjornl@blake.acs.washington.edu (Bjorn Levidown)
 >Subject: Kate in Japan?
 >Date: 25 Jan 90 06:49:44 GMT
 >
 >To all love hounds:
 >       On Japan's album "Gentlemen take polaroids", the song "Methods of
 >dance" has some haunting female backing vocals which sound alot like Kate.
 >Is it true, or is it just a figment of my imagination?  Please E-mail
 >me a response.  Thanks in advance.

   No, the female backing vocals on _Methods_of_Dance_ are not Kate.

-- Andrew Marvick