Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

MisK.

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 90 21:39:47 PST
Subject: MisK.

Hello, everybody!

1)  I finally found the _Music Express_ magazine Chris Williams was
talking about.  He's right!  The cover shot of Kate is absolutely
GORGEOUS!

2)  I found a review in a magazine called _Cover_, published in
New York City.  This is from the Jan. issue.

Kate Bush
_The Sensual World_
CBS

Pick Of The Month:  A rich and ephemeral song cycle set in Lawrencian
images.  Stunning in its success, and like other of its kind (namely
Van Morrison's _Astral Weeks_ and Roxy Music's _Avalon_), its rewards
are reaped by repeated intent listenings and forgetting all you've
read about it.
				     -- Paul Paddock

3)  Today I came across the premier issue (Vol. 1, No. 1) of a
new magazine called _Exit_, which calls itself "The Alternative
Magazine."  It's published in La Jolla, California (near San Diego
for those unfamiliar with California geography).

Anyway, it has a whole page Kate Bush Discography for some reason.  No
article or interview, just a discography.  I won't post it since it's
not quite as comprehensive as the lists IED has posted lately.  However,
it does include almost all the official singles, albums, etc.  It also
includes the addresses of the Kate Bush Fan Club and eight fanzines.

Eight pages before this discography, they have a review of the album:

KATE BUSH
The Sensual World
CBS

     After four years of ripening, a new fruit is hanging on Kate Bush's
tree of talents and inspirations, blending its sounds with the echoes
of _Hounds of Love_.  Although _The Sensual World_ can hardly become as
commercially successful as its precedent, it is an album of mature work.
The listener will probably have to listen to it several times before they
can attempt to appreciate its value.  Although carefully balanced and
mixed, the album might sound (sort of) raw, as far as timbre is
concerned.  This is a consequence of Bush's using quite unusual
instruments such as villain pipes [sic], valiha, bouzouki, fiddle,
whistles, etc., which hug the songs with a special warmth.
     Another contribution to the overall sound is made by three Bulgarian
singers, the Trio Bulgarka, whose melodic lines, although sounding
unfamiliar to the western ears, create an harmonic effect that ranges
from interesting to hair-raising, especially in "Never Be Mine" and
"Rocket's Tail".  Two other important contributions to the sound of the
album are made by Michael Kamen, who skillfully made the orchestra
arrangements and Dave Gilmore [sic] (old buddy of Kate's) who did not
fail to make his presence noticeable by playing a couple of his
strumming guitar solos.
     In spite of the many guest musicians, however, _The Sensual World_ is
still a very personally made album.  It is charged with Kate's own
emotions and experiences.  Don't hesitate to respond to her invitation
of sharing those emotions.  Grab the delicious fruit from her tree and
take a deep bite.  (Mmm. . .yes!)
				      -- Nectarios Tradas

4)  In my last long message, I posted the results from _Melody Maker_'s
readers' poll.  Well, here's the readers' poll from _Sounds_.  (It's
from the Jan. 13 issue.)

Kate Bush appears on the following lists:

Album of 1989: #9, _The Sensual World_.
Single of 1989: #12, "The Sensual World", and #14, "This Woman's Work".
Female Vocalist of 1989: #1.
     They show the winners in this category for the past ten years.
     Kate won in 1980, 1985 and 1986.  Also, they apparently told
     Kate about her #1 position on this list, and she said, "You've
     made an old woman very happy -- and me too."
Musician of 1989: #12.
Promo Video of 1989: #8, "The Sensual World".
Comeback of 1989: #10
Person of 1989: #9
LP of the '80s:  #9, _Hounds Of Love_.
Single of the '80s:  #14, "Running Up That Hill".
Person of the '80s:  #11

5)  The new playlist at KITS shows "Love And Anger" moving
up one position to #10.

That's it for now, folks.

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov