Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Chirping computers

From: claris!wombat@decwrl.dec.com (Scott Lindsey)
Date: 18 Jan 90 23:05:44 GMT
Subject: Chirping computers
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: claris!wombat@decwrl.dec.com
Subversive: DES

In article <UZgqKZe00Xoa42fEVd@andrew.cmu.edu> de0t+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Daniel S. Efran") writes:

> amusing.
> P.P.S.  Somebody told me that one of the times Kate presses "execute" in
> Deeper Understanding the little "beep" noises are actually bird noises.
> I heard it when my friend pointed it out, but now I can't find it again.
>  Was this just a mutual hallucination we had, or is there something to
> it?  If there is, it opens up a whole realm of symbolism:  the
> "sensuality" and organic-ness of computers, etc., etc.  If not, it opens
> up a whole realm of pointless discussion about what those tiny little
> noises actually are.  Two seconds of *background* audio, no less!
> (I really do want to know if anyone else can hear this.)

I think it's hard to say... especially in this day and age of digitized
sounds.  It's quite possible the sound started it's life in a bird's throat,
was digitized, processed, filed, spindled, mutilated, briefed, debriefed and
mixed into KaTe's album.

Now, I know *my* computer chirps... I digitized the bird off of the very very
end of Klaatu's eponymous album for my beep on my Mac.

Scott Lindsey     | I dig iguana in their outer space duds
Claris Corp.      |    saying, "Aren't you glad we only eat bugs?"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or Dead.