Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

L&A on P-M MTV's Top 20 of '89!

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 89 13:00:26 PST
Subject: L&A on P-M MTV's Top 20 of '89!

This week Post Modern MTV is showing the Top 20 post modern
videos of 1989, with hosts Chris Stein and Debbie Harry.

Last night, they covered numbers 15 down to 11.  "Love And Anger"
was number 15.  Here's a transcript of what they said about it:

Harry:  Tell 'em who you are.

Stein:  Oh, I'm Chris Stein.

Harry:  I'm Debbie Harry.

Stein:  And this is a Kate Bush song from _The Sensual World_.  And
	when I saw it I hadn't got the list of songs in the tapes that
	they sent us, and I said, "Geez, there's somebody imitating
	Kate Bush."  But I like the Dervishes.  I really used to like
	all her funnier stuff.

Harry:  Well, you know, but there's something always consistent about
	Kate is that she's a dancer, and there's always a lot of dance
	references and really good dancing in her --

Stein:  Yeah, those people who are whirling around are called Dervishes,
	and that's like sort of a religious type of dance done in --

Harry:  Yeah, and they dance with one arm down and one hand up to catch
	the [makes odd noise], so the vibe goes out and around [imitates
	Dervish position].

Stein:  OK, roll it.

Harry:  Yeah!

So these people aren't the brightest.

Ed (Edward Suranyi)        | Caption:  "Kate Bush goes from cult fave to
Dept. of Applied Science   |        chart rave."  -- _Billboard_
UC Davis/Livermore         |   (In "Was It A Hit Or A Miss" in the 1985
ed@das.llnl.gov            |          year-end special issue.)