Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Doug.chair; Jon.flames

From: vishal@m2.csc.ti.com (Vishal Markandey)
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 89 17:37:16 CST
Subject: Doug.chair; Jon.flames

JROSSI@AAMRL.AF.MIL:

stewarte@sco.COM:

JROSSI@AAMRL.AF.MIL:

> the whole discuaaion would never come up.  It is highly unlikely that
> in a world devoid of color vision, color vision would be identified
> except as a scientific curiousity (i.e., like a paranormal phenomenon
> which is well identified under discriminative color trials).  Besides,
> who would really care.  The only truely defensible position is

Human color vision is nothing but the eye's sensitivity to a particular
part of the electromagnetic spectrum (the part that the sun's radiation
peaks in), and the ability to discriminate within this part at a certain
level of spectral resolution. If the sun's surface temperature was different
from what it is, its radiation would peak in some other part of the spectrum
and life might possibly have evolved with sensitivity to that part of the
spectrum. Anyway, there is plenty of radiation being emitted and reflected
from surfaces around us that lies outside the visible region. Just because
the human eye is insensitive to this radiation does not mean it does not
exist or cannot be used. An example is infra-red radiation. Useful in night
vision aids and computer vision applications to literally see in the "dark".
And just like the visible region you can have spectral resolution within
infra-red also (called color infra-red). Certain species of snakes have eyes
sensitive to infra-red so they too can see in the "dark". What we call
darkness is really our eye's blindness to radiation outside a narrow region of
the electromagnetic spectrum.

I can't believe I just wrote that for Gaffa. Doug, is it possible to move
this discussion to some other group (comp.ai.vision comes to mind although
something else might be more appropriate).

Recently received a batch of greeting cards from _Burning Airlines_
showing Kate on a *red chair* (see, there is a Kate connection after all :-)

---

	< Chris (of Chris'n'Vickie) flames Jon >

Jon seems to be getting a lot of flamage recently, doesn't he. So he is the
enfant terrible of the group and does put his foot in his mouth occassionally,
but IMHO overall he is quite a valuable presence on the net. I certainly look
forward to his piquant postings with anticipation.

- Vishal