Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Some more artists...

From: The Inept Woj <woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 89 22:15:32 EST
Subject: Some more artists...

As promised, I finally got my act together and have a selection of some
more artists that Janefans might be interested in.

First off, a correction: I mentioned a Julee Close. Her name is, in fact,
Julee Cruise (I think someone might have mentioned it previously...but
can't remember, as I am currently brain dead).

This time, we got some *bands* for you!

1) BAMFF - an outfit from Vancouver, I believe (if not definitely from
   Canada). While I can't remember the singer's name, she (being the
   creative part of the band) fuses Laurie Anderson-ish violins and vocals
   with a rockier sound (including some heavy guitars...). Their latest
   release is from early this year (around January) called _Come_Outside_
   and is quite enjoyable.

2) AREA - I have no idea where this is from, or even who they are. The CD
   mysteriously appeared in the station one day and, well, the rest is
   history, as they say. Primarily synthesizers and a drum machine, this
   is both moody, dark and uplifting all at the same time. Her voice is
   neither earthy or etherial, but not anywhere in between -- almost spo-
   ken vocals, but they aren't. The arrangements are pretty simple to, but
   it just stresses the vocals more, rather than detract from the music.
   The debut is called _between_purple_and_pink_

one solo artist:

3) WENDY WALL - On SBK Records, Wendy Wall's music lies between folk and
   pop making her music infintely accessible. Upbeat and, just plain,
   *enjoyable*, this is something for those sick of the morbid, mysterious
   female folkies from New York City (just kidding Suzanne...).

And lastly,

4) HEX - Made up of Donette Thayer, lately of Game Theory, and Steven Kilby
   of The Church, this takes the cake for etherialness. Dreamy, swirling
   and foggy. I'm not sure if the album (unknown title on First Warning
   Records) has been released; all I've got is a FW sampler with "The Jol-
   ly Boys" on the backside...anybody in a real city seen this around?

BTW, I'm cross-posting this to Love-Hounds, as some of them might appreciate
these performers too...

woj --- woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu

One final down, three to go