Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

MisK

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 89 13:43:40 PST
Subject: MisK

1)  Is there a Kate/Mishima connection?

In Sunday's book review section of the _San Francisco Chronicle_,
there's a review of a new translation of _Acts of Worship: Seven
Stories_ by Yukio Mishima.  Along with the review is a picture of
Mishima.  He's shown with a flower (probably a rose) in front of
his mouth, and he's staring straight at the camera.  The resemblance
to the cover of _The Sensual World_ is uncanny.  I wonder if Kate ever
saw this picture.

2)  From the January issue of _Stereo Review_:

No, there's no review yet, but in the "Record Makers" column, here's
what it says:

     "As Kate Bush has proceeded through her recording career, each of
her six albums has taken longer to make than its predecessor.  Her latest,
'The Sensual World,' took four years.  'I know it's a long time,' she
admits, 'but each record gets harder to make.  This is my most personal
and female album so far.'
     "As before, Bush has written lush, sophisticated music with distinct
literary overtones.  The title track, for example, was inspired by James
Joyce's _Ulysses_.  Bush also produced the album, and she used musicians
who would give some of her sensuous arrangements an international-folk
flavor.  Bulgaria's Trio Bulgarka, a women's singing group, performs
haunting harmonies on three tracks, and the piercing, ancient sounds of
Irish uilleann pipes are heard on a few others."

There's also a picture of Kate -- the same one that was with the horrible
review that appeared in _Spin_.

3)  Both British teeny-bopper magazines, _Smash Hits_ and _Number One_,
have reviews of the "This Woman's Work" single.  In both cases, guest
musicians do the single reviews this week.