Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: L&A video

From: vishal@m2.csc.ti.com (Vishal Markandey)
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 89 10:24:30 CST
Subject: Re: L&A video

woiccare@CLUTX.CLARKSON.EDU (The Inept Woj):

> pb1p+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Peter Glen Berger):
>>I finally saw it last night.

>> Hurrrmmmmmmmmmm.

>> I wasn't terribly impressed.  Don't get me wrong, it wasn't
>> *horrible*, but I really could have done without the ballet dancers.
>> I thought they looked rather silly.

> I have to agree and disagree -- the video is, oh, I don't know, dis-
> appointing, I guess is a better way of putting it I think. I really
> expected something more substantial than a band video (which is all
> it really it is in the long run). I didn't mind the dancers that much;
> my problem is when the band kicks in -- it just loses any sense of
> originality or neatness, or whatever it is I'm trying to say. Also,
> what do you call that style of dancing that KaTe does? As Eric might
> have a mentioned, for someone who took dancing lessons when younger,
> it sure doesn't look it.

I think Kate's spontaneous and uninhibited dancing on this video provides
a refreshing contrast to the structured moves of the ballet dancers and the
dervishes. The two styles (using the term loosely) would perhaps not be so
interesting seperately but they work very well together. I love her when she
is spontaneous (or acts spontaneous, whatever), like when she says "shut up"
in the VH-1 interview while talking about her unappreciative neighbors. To me
that was the high point of the interview. But I ramble...

I agree Woj, I don't think much about the band part of the video either, but
atleast I can put some faces to the guys' names now, and can claim to have
seen a Valiha !!

- Vishal

vishal@csc.ti.com