Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Mailbag

From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 89 00:27 PST
Subject: Mailbag

 To: Love-Hounds
 From: Andrew Marvick (IED)

     A newcomer to our cozy little group asks whether the _Keyboard_
interview has ever appeared in Love-Hounds. The answer is yes. In fact,
about two years ago former (but not forgotten) San Diegan Love-Hound
MarK T. Ganzer went to great trouble to transcribe and re-integrate the
'85 _Keyboard_ interview with a different version of the same conversation
originally heard on the U.S. radio programme _Totally_Wired_. This was no
easy task, because both versions had been presented to the public in oddly
re-edited, abridged forms. MarK spent many hours restoring the interview
to something like its original state.
     Subsequently the interview was posted in Love-Hounds, and printed
in _The_Garden_ (Volume 1). IED will re-format it for easy onscreen
access and post it in its entirety soon.

   Drukman (demonstrating again his exceptional research techniques) writes:
 >Anyway, my cursory examination did not reveal any items concerning
 >love-hounds or related individuals.

     In fact there are numerous mentions. A special thanks is given
to Ed Suranyi (well deserved, too--much of the U.S. news in the issue
comes from Ed); there is a credit to veteran Kate-fan eKsTraordinaire
(and welcome Love-Hounds addition) Vickie Mapes for her expert
information; IED (unexpectedly referred to as "_LoveHound_ Andrew Marvick")
has a quote (mis-)attributed to him; and mention is made of Larry
Hernandez's brilliantly successful San Jose Bush Bash of last October,
and of L-Hs-related parties held in Austin, TX and Bellingham, WA.

 >Ack!  I forgot to mention in the last article that another bootleg
 >interview CD has surfaced. It was a 5" CD in a four-colour cardboard
 >sleeve, but it was sealed in a plastic longbox so I couldn't check it
 >out in any great detail.  The cover picture is that gorgeous
 >chin-on-knees shot that surfaced circa HoL, I believe.  I have it on a
 >poster overlooking me, but that's irrelevant right now.  So it said
 >"The Abbey Road Interview" on the back and had a picture of Kate
 >sitting on a chair ostensibly talking to someone.  It said that it ran
 >42 minutes.  Price was (I think) $7 or $10...  I'm sure IED will give
 >us the full report on this any day now...

     No, he already _gave_ the full report on this item in Love-Hounds
more than _four_months_ago_!
     For the record, this CD (which has by far the best sound of
any recorded interview with Kate anywhere) in fact has nearly nothing
to do with Abbey Road studios. The interview was commissioned by _Home_-
ground_ and Kate expressly for the 1985 International Kate Bush
Convention in Romford, England. It was conducted by Tony Myatt,
a dj (and friend of Kate's who was the first dj ever to play Kate's
music--_Wuthering_Heights_ in November '78, four months before its
actual release) for England's independent Capital Radio at Capital's
own studios. (_HG_ then sent it to Abbey Road for mastering, and
Peter theorizes that the Abbey Road logo on the master tape is the
reason for the bootleggers' mis-identification. And this _is_ a
bootleg, at least in IED's book, since neither Kate, nor Peter, nor
Myatt had anything to do with its commercial release.)
     The same interview was simultaneously released by the same group
in the form of a 12-inch picture-disk, which features a photo of
Kate in a pink sweater with a pinkish background on one side. The
LP has been much easier to find in the L.A. area than the CD, and
IED would say that $7-10 for the _Abbey_Road_Interview_ CD is a very
good price.

-- Andrew Marvick
   "Brazil..."