Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: a philocanine prayer

From: stevev@chemstor.uoregon.edu (Steve VanDevender)
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 89 07:18:32 GMT
Subject: Re: a philocanine prayer
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@cs.uoregon.edu (Netnews Owner)

>-- Andrew Marvick, an unsympathetic, sometimes even unsavory, but
>   always _true_ Kate Bush fan

I really wanted to resist the urge to get involved in this, but I
am only human.

IED, It seems that you have been having a bad month, and if it's
true that something in your life is influencing you to write
horrid, arrogant, demeaning replies to people who are merely
expressing their _opinions_, then I hope it gets better soon.
Very soon.

What I enjoy about love-hounds/rec.music.gaffa is the huge
quantity of Kate-related information.  I was a low-grade Kate fan
before discovering rec.music.gaffa by accident
("rec.music.gaffa?" I thought to myself, "what's gaffa?  Sounds
like a reggae term or something.").  All the things I have
learned through this group have given me much more appreciation
for the music of Kate Bush.  I thought "The Ninth Wave" was
fascinating but never got a handle on it until I read discussions
about it here, for example.

We're talking about music here, not astrophysics.  When it comes
to emotional impact and song preferences, there is more than one
right answer.  If someone is making factual errors on fairly
objective matters, then it's possible to point out the errors
without resorting to calling the authors of the offending
articles "poor, benighted, fickle, cynical, Philistine,
fad-conscious wretches."  Although the authors may be, such
accusations tend to move followups off the subject of Kate's
music and onto the subject of who is more of a brain-dead sot.

So please let's talk about Kate Bush instead of how idiotic each
other's opinions are.  It is the diversity of opinion that makes
the musical discussions so interesting.  You like "Reaching Out",
Jon Drukman hates it, and I think it's sort of mediocre but not
unlistenable.

Steve VanDevender, a Kate Bush fan who cannot claim that he
thinks she is god (she smokes?!  Eyeugh.) but who does consider
her music to be some of the best available.
--
Steve VanDevender 	stevev@chemstor.uoregon.edu
"Bipedalism--an unrecognized disease affecting over 99% of the population.