Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Laugh

From: Woj <woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 89 16:05:50 EST
Subject: Re: The Laugh

nbc@INF.RL.AC.UK:
> I can see no connection with the laugh and Kate's stated elements
> behind "The Fog", i.e. that of relationships, trying to let go of
> people and slipping into the fog.

The connection I see is due to the nervous feel of the laugh. (yes I
know that is very subjective and you might not think it such). The
theme of "The Fog" is dependent on the parallel between the fear of
love and the fear of swimming ("This love is big enough to be frightened
of/it's deep and dark like the waterholes the day I learned to swim").
Essentially it's a theme of growing, and alot of the time, people will
put on a false sense of bravado and laugh at the prospect of learning
to swim, or learning to love, or whatever. I think the laugh is a be-
trayal of this bravado becasue of the nervousness of it -- by the laugh
she reveals this falseness.

As, I'm going on pure feeling, and I don't know if this really makes
sense the way I am trying to explain it.

> In fact, it's obvious to anyone who isn't Dan Quayle that it belongs at the
> end of "Love and Anger".

One need not drop to techniques of insult to disgree, no?

woj --- woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu