Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Laugh

From: jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (Jon Drukman)
Date: 1 Dec 89 18:57:39 GMT
Subject: Re: The Laugh
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU

In article <8912011249.AA02524@ginkgo> nbc@INF.RL.AC.UK writes:
>>>It's obvious to anyone who isn't an inane idiot that it belongs at the
>>>beginning of "The Fog".  Geez.
>
>Well as a well-known inane idiot of long standing let me cast my
>delayed vote for the laugh being part of "Love And Anger". To me it is
>an ideal riposte to the "Yeah" rather than distracting from it at all.
>I can see no connection with the laugh and Kate's stated elements
>behind "The Fog", i.e. that of relationships, trying to let go of
>people and slipping into the fog.
>
>In fact, it's obvious to anyone who isn't Dan Quayle that it belongs at the
>end of "Love and Anger".

I am not Dan Quayle (at least I wasn't last time I checked - let me
have a quick peek... nope, definitely do not have tapioca between my
ears so I can't be him...) and I don't agree with you.  The laugh is
the perfect introduction to "The Fog." A giggle at a half-remembered
childhood foible, like being scared of the water.  A piquant chuckle
of bemusement over the naivete of youth.  Of course, we're not like
that anymore, but cast your mind back... (cue Fairlight whistles).
See what I mean?  Perfection.

Besides, if you're so clever, how come the laugh ain't in the video or
on the CD or cassette single?

|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | "To serve God, you gotta be stupid and  |
| \|on |/rukman | jsd@umass.bitnet  |  freakish and poor."  -- ??             |