Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Review of the album in the Nov. 13 _People_

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 89 12:34:16 PST
Subject: Review of the album in the Nov. 13 _People_

Yes, _People_ magazine has a review of the album.  It's actually
coupled with a review of The Innocence Mission's first album.
Since this magazine is widely available in the US, I will paraphrase
the review.  Anybody who needs a complete copy should e-mail me.

He (David Hiltbrand) starts out praising her vocal qualities.  She is
"one of the most striking stylists in pop music. . .By turns stern and
breathily fragile in the lower range, her voice is quite ethereal in its
upper reaches."  He calls the melodies and harmonies "adventurous and
exotic", as usual for Bush.  He mentions the "sensuous, snake-charmer
allure of the title track", and the "mock woodwind, river-fairy piping"
on "Never Be Mine."  He then says, "The most exciting moments in the Bush
canon have come when her reserve melts and the passion of the music
carries her away.  That happens here on "Love & Anger" and "Heads We're
Dancing," but not often enough.  The album is, though, often pretty and
thoroughly characteristic."
    Then he says that Bush fans may want to check out The Innocence
Mission.  He says that lead singer Karen Peris's voice is "similar to
Bush's, if slightly earthier."  He concludes by saying, "Though many of
the songs are more traditional in form than Bush's leaps of fancy, at
their best [they are] creating music every bit as entrancing as the
idiom's past mistress, old Kate herself.  The similarity in sounds is a
serendipitous treat for listeners."

Ed (Edward Suranyi)        |     "Bush is an acquired taste worth
Dept. of Applied Science   |              cultivating."
UC Davis/Livermore         |                 -- _People_ magazine
ed@das.llnl.gov            |        (in review of _The Dreaming_)