Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

News, Nov. 1

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 89 22:33:02 PST
Subject: News, Nov. 1

The album has dropped to #2 at Tower Mountain View. :-(
But, it has entered the Top 25 rack at number 15 in Tower Campbell.

Someone earlier posted the positions from _Billboard_ magazine (Nov. 4), and
I've already commented about the numbers.  But I didn't know until
I saw the issue today that Kate is mentioned several times in it!

Paul Green's "Chart Beat" column says:
     "Kate Bush's debut album for Columbia, "The Sensual World," enters
the pop albums chart at No. 84.  It's the English singer's first studio
album since her 1985 U.S. breakthrough release, "Hounds Of Love," which
cracked the top 30 and yielded the top 30 single "Running Up That Hill."

Then, near the end of the magazine, in the "Inside Track" column, edited
by Irv Lichtman, it says:
     "COLUMBIA'S HOT:  At the uptown New York store of Tower Records,
Columbia Records has five of the top 10 records, including Billy Joel's
"Storm Front" at No. 1 and titles by the Rolling Stones, Kate Bush, Bob
Dylan, and Liza Minelli.  Store manager Steve Harman comments, "The reason
this is interesting is they were so cold and now they're so hot."

Yes, "Love And Anger" did indeed shoot up to #6 from #13 on the Modern
Rock Tracks chart.  No other track in the top 10 even comes close to this
big a rise.

Now here's the best thing of all.  In the Music Video section, and
specifically in the column "Video Track", it says:
     "Kate Bush directed her own new video, "Love And Anger," from
"The Sensual World" album on Columbia."

This sounds as if the video really *is* finished, like Vickie gathered
from the Chicago CBS rep!  I'm hoping they'll release the single the
same time as the video.

I also got the Nov. 4 issue of _Cash Box_. There's something very strange
in it.  It shows the album debuting on the Alternative Music chart at
No. 26.  What does it say the title of the album is?  "Pop Singer."
Yes, you read right.  I'll send them a postcard immediately informing
them of their error.

In the Dance music section, there's a short (favorable) review of
Sarah McLachlan's single "Steaming", which has apparently now been
released in an extended version.  One of the things the reviewer says
is, "Sort of what you'd hear if Kate Bush decided to hit the dance floor."

Well, I finished my tally for October.  How many times did I hear a Kate
song played on the radio last month?  55!  Yes, that's fifty-five.  That's
more than double the number of times I'd heard Kate on the radio in my
whole life up to the beginning of October!

Ed (Edward Suranyi)        |     "Bush is an acquired taste worth
Dept. of Applied Science   |              cultivating."
UC Davis/Livermore         |                 -- _People_ magazine
ed@das.llnl.gov            |        (in review of _The Dreaming_)