Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Testing the Waters

From: datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu (David Datta)
Date: 2 Nov 89 04:15:22 GMT
Subject: Testing the Waters
Newsgroups: rec.music.misc, rec.music.bluenote, rec.music.classical, rec.music.newage, rec.music.gaffa, rec.music.cd
Sender: news@uwm.edu

I am planning [in association with a few other people] to start a
lobbying effort to change the existing US Import laws. Essentially, the
law states that if a record label has rights to an artist in the United
States, then no-one can import any album by that artist for re-sale.

What we will be proposing is to allow imports of albums that are not
released, or to add some sort of a surcharge on the import that will be
paid to the record label when the album is imported. The latter method
is similar to the current laws in other non-US democratic countries.

The process of changing the law will take a long time. Before we start,
we would like to have some idea of what [if any] support we might have
from the public.

I would appreciate response from anyone who would like to comment on
changing the current United States import laws [as they refer to
music]. Please reply to this message, make any comments you would like,
in support or otherwise. As I have stated above, we are trying to test
the waters.

Thank you for a response.

To prevent a lot of net-wastage, PLEASE reply by E-Mail.

          DO NOT POST RESPONSES TO THE NET

      I will post a summary of the responses.

-Dave datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu