Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Dreaming (Gospel Truth)

From: John M. Relph <relph@presto.ig.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1989 17:43:05 PST
Subject: The Dreaming (Gospel Truth)

cheung@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (rich) sez (and I know it was eons ago):

>  However, even gods are not
>perfect and her mistake happens to be ............. The Dreaming.  I
>can't understand what you people see or hear in this album. I don't
>even consider it music - it's that bad.

To which ?>oug sez:
>     [ Repent, sinner!  Repent! *The Dreaming* is the one true word of
>       God...
etc.

Yea, verily.  Actually, I heard two or three songs by Kate Bush when I
was in Ireland in 1979 and 1980.  I had never heard of her before, but
found the video for "Wow" interesting, and found the video for
"Breathing" quite good.  When I came back to the states I heard a Pat
Benatar song that made me jump.  Sure enough, when I looked at the
credits it was a Kate Bush song -- "Wuthering Heights".  I bought the
single of "Breathing" and played it some, and it was good.  But I
didn't really think about Kate's music much, and didn't listen for it
on the radio, nor did I buy her albums.  But one day I saw _The
Dreaming_ for sale cheap at a used record store (it was a cutout), so
I bought it, what the heck.  And boy, was it ever weird.  Weirder than
Peter Gabriel.  Very Weird.  Yeah.  But I played it again.  And again.
And it got better every time.  I must have played that album once or
more per day for a couple of months.  Wow.  I don't do that with
albums very often.  What a great album.  And now I'm hooked.  And it's
still her best.  Side two of _Hounds of Love_ is pretty incredible,
though.  And the "Meteorological Mix" is the best twelve inch I've
laid my hands on.  Play it.  Loud.  LOUD.  FUCKING LOUD.

Sorry, rambled a bit.  Anyway.  XTC is better than Kate.

	-- John