Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: OHMIGOD, I'VE GOT IT!!!!

From: genrad!rbt@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Robert B. Tufts)
Date: 19 Oct 89 02:34:20 GMT
Subject: Re: OHMIGOD, I'VE GOT IT!!!!
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <YZCv3NG00XcLE_SUVY@andrew.cmu.edu> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:

>thingies are dropping like flies out of the box, and I grab one and I
>run to the counter, and the guy says, whoa, slow down, man, I gotta put
>a price tag on it, and I said, oh, yeah, and he puts one on, and he
>says, here, first in Pittsburgh to own it, and all I can do is laugh a
>little evil laugh and hunchback my way to the counter and spend my last
>thirteen bucks on it, and now I'm broke but I'm happy `cause it's mine

Much to my surprise the CD made it's debut @ my local Strawberries "on sale"
at $11.99. At this store most new CD's are $14-$15 and the ones they're trying
to liquidate are $9.99. (I'm 50 miles outside Boston, so there aren't any
"price-wars" to speak of) So I was pleased that they didn't seem to be
"milking" what might be considered the "cult following" (must have at ANY price
when it first comes out). Matter of fact her "oldies" are going for more at
the same store! (classics?)

The CD was rather prominately displayed on the "new-release" display rack,
as well as being available under "Kate Bush" section. Maybe this price is part
of a scheme by CBS to get more people to "try Kate", but then again I've seen
no videos yet (the new way to push records). I'd be curious if this was a local
Stawberries "loss leader" or if other chains (Tower, etc) have done similar
relative price reductions.

just an observation,

-Bob T.