Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KTV

From: Michael Mendelson <mendel@cs.uiuc.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 89 11:01:35 -0500
Subject: KTV

I have a feeling this posting might have gotten lost, so here
it is again:

From: Michael Mendelson <mendel@cs.uiuc.edu>

I recently had the honour of viewing Kate's Whole Story videos and the
Live at Hammersmith concert video for the first time.  After recovering
from the trauma of finally seeing Kate in more than just a poster or
bitmap, I found the videos (both) to be lacking in one crucial respect
(this applies more to the concert).  Except for Feel It, there wasn't
one shot of anyone playing any musical instrument that I can recall.  I
know some might disagree, but when I attend a concert, one thing I'm
looking for is to see people playing instruments and singing.  I love
to see how songs that have affected my life *look* being played.
Where does this sound come from?  Or that one?  What does the bassist
look like when he plays?  How many drums are there?  Etc.  The Tour of
Life video was almost completely void of people just *playing*, and it
seemed that even for those in the audience, the focus was on Kate
bopping around, and the band was all but out of sight.  Now granted, in
more recent years, putting on a Kate Bush tour would prove difficult
due to the heavy reliance on synthesizers, which don't wash too well in
concert.  But in the early years it would have been nice to see people
rather than props.

Now don't get me wrong -- I enjoyed the videos and will probably watch
them again and again, given the opportunity.  But I'd have been very
happy with just the band, and Kate, interacting on stage.  If I dare
say, the theatrics detract from the music itself, which really needs no
help at all.  If Kate disagrees with this, well, so it goes.  But
there's definitely something to be said for a *conventional* concert.
Some friends I was watching these videos with called them "videos from
outer space." I found this to be a rather apt description.

			        			.

						"No pinky ring hustlers,
						 No sabre-tooth neighbours"