Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: (none)

From: abvax!las@uunet.UU.NET (Lorie A Stull)
Date: 13 Oct 89 18:02:43 GMT
Subject: Re: (none)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>Really-From: gatech.edu!mit-eddie!gaffa.mit.edu!jsd@cs.utexas.edu (Jon Drukman)

>>Really-From: tracyr@uunet.uu.net (jane smallberries)

>>however drukman, on the little i *can* discern from "rocket's
>>tail", suicide doesn't occur to me.  why would she want to go
>>*up* or skyward?  i associate this with soaring in a positive
>>way, not spiraling *downward* towards a suicidal death.  however,
>>my speculation is premature, as i haven't figured out all the
>>lyrics yet.

>i just read the official transcription, and it seems to me that
>my suicide idea may have been farfetched, but i'm still gonna spend
>a few hours finding a way to make it work.  stay tuned.

Farfetched??  Are you kidding?  I think that's what it's about, for Kate's
sake!  But not in a negative way, as in "Life is awful! I'm gonna go jump
off a bridge!"  Rather, the concentration is on the intensity of life,
without considering the death to follow - going up in a BLAZE OF GLORY.
"...holding the night in its arms" is a very powerful image to me, which
is matched by the power and intensity of most of the song.  What's
interesting to me is that the rocket in that "November night" was probably
laughing, but when our narrator becomes a rocket on fire, she seems too busy
worrying about whether others are watching to enjoy it much ("...look at me"!)

>...TD is lots o' fun, but
>the *best*?  come, now.

Absolutely. ;-)

After reading the interview from _NME_, I did not have a real good feeling.
I've only recently become a Kate fan(atic), and I've always heard what close
attention she gives to detail.  But when she talked about _Heads_We're_
Dancing_, it sounded like she just threw in the stuff about Hitler because
he was the most evil person she could think of, without any further thought
going into making the song make sense.  Therefore, all the speculation that
you folks have been doing here (which I appreciate, by the way) could be
pointless.  But I'd rather not think that.  Help?!

Ed Lieser (once again, on L. Stull's account)