Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: (none)

From: Jamie Andrews <jha%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 89 11:27:06-0000
Subject: Re: (none)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>Really-From: microsoft!stevesc@uunet.uu.net
>[Oppenheimer] was a leader in the bomb project because it was his job in
>a real war....  At the
>time of the first successful test of the bomb, he said something like,
>"I have become Death, the destroyer of worlds"...

     Yes, but there's another famous quote from him.  Again
paraphrasing:  "When we saw the possibility of making a bomb
with such power, the idea was so *sweet* that we had to do it."
He may have been just doing his job, but he was also motivated
by an intellectual desire for knowledge that blinded him to the
moral consequences of his research.  (He and his team, I suppose
I should say.)

--Jamie.
  jha@lfcs.ed.ac.uk
"In my mind there is a mirror"