Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: news@acns.nwu.edu
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 89 15:49:16 CDT

Date: 12 Oct 89 20:49:13 GMT
From: The News System <usenet@accuvax.nwu.edu>
Subject: Submission for rec-music-gaffa
Responding-System: accuvax.nwu.edu

From: rico@math.nwu.edu (Rico Tudor)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Rickie Lee Jones
Date: 12 Oct 89 20:49:11 GMT
Sender: news@accuvax.nwu.edu

It quite surprises me that no mention has been made of "Flying Cowboys",
the new Rickie Lee Jones album.  I expect better from the members of
this group.

The similarities between her and KT are noteworthy: both sing, play
piano, songwrite and the results are imbued with their unique
personalities.  They take longer and longer between albums: RLJ-lovers
have been waiting five years.  Both have employed orchestration, and
favor real (analog) instruments.  Influences on RLJ have included
caribbean, blues, jazz, even Italian folk.  And most importantly, both
give me a wonderful feeling.

Of course, RLJ is not at all a Kate-clone.  And I can't say there's a
country influence (sorry, J. Siberry fans).  I have no artistic
education: perhaps someone can explain the painting on the album's
cover.