Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: usenet@ames.arc.nasa.gov
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 89 15:17:40 PDT

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: (none)
Date: 12 Oct 89 22:17:39 GMT
Sender: usenet@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV

My newsfeed suddenly started working again, so at least I'm caught up.
[To |>oug:  Leave me on the mailing list; the computer I use for the
news is iffy.  Many times I can't read the news for several days at a
time.  I certainly don't want to miss anything now!]

>Really-From: cheung@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (rich)
>
>I've been reading this group for over a year now, and like most of you
>out there, I, too, believe Kate is god.  However, even gods are not
>perfect and her mistake happens to be ............. The Dreaming.  I
>can't understand what you people see or hear in this album. I don't
>even consider it music - it's that bad.  As a side note, I think HoL
>is THE BEST.
>
>     [ Repent, sinner!  Repent! *The Dreaming* is the one true word of
>       God.  If you don't see this then you have obviously let Modonna
>       into your soul.  You have been lured by evil.  Forsake evil!
>       Forsake Madonna, who wants your imortal soul damned forever.
>       Accept *The Dreaming* as the one true word of God and achieve
>       eternal life.  Repent before it is too late.  Repent!  Repent!
>       -- |>oug ]

Actually, I'm also one of those who didn't like _The Dreaming_ at first.
I had all of her albums but _TD_ (including _HOL_).  One day I bought
the mini-LP, which contains "Sat in Your Lap" and "Suspended in Gaffa".
I loved SIG on first listening, and I kind of liked SIYL, though not as
much.  The funny thing is that when I played SIG for the first time, I
could swear that I had heard that song before!  This is one of the greatest
mysteries of my Kate-fandom.  I know I heard that song before I bought
the mini-LP, yet I can't think of where I might have heard it.

Anyway, after hearing those two songs I decided to get the whole album.
I'm afraid to say that I was quite disappointed.  The songs were just
*too* strange.

However -- after listening to it five times I started figuring it out, and
after ten times I loved it.  It's still not strictly my favorite album.  I
actually don't have one.  My favorite is always the one I'm currently
listening to.  So, when I'm playing _TD_, it becomes my favorite!  Lately,
_The Sensual World_ has been my favorite a lot of the time.

I have a friend here who had _Never For Ever_ and _Hounds Of Love_, but
none of her other albums.  I lent him _TD_ once, and he loved it
immediately.  So it affects different people differently.

Ed (Edward Suranyi)
Dept. of Applied Science, UC Davis/Livermore
ed@das.llnl.gov
It appears that I now can get UUNET to work. So feel free to write to me.